Chapter 55- A Looming Threat

It has been a week since our departure from Port Silis. That also means it has been three months since Isaac and I were transported to Athiens. Time sure did fly by fast. Thinking about the time we spent in Athiens has me thinking about what Earth is up to right now. Well, to be fair, I'm thinking about that every day.

"Stop hauling ass and I'll chop off your arm. You'll be matching with your dear master here..." Solgen growled at the two Apithiens. Right now, Solgen was leading everyone through the streets of Port Silis, with Airon and Volken right behind her, and the rest of us behind them. Since the city is near the ocean, the familiar scent of salt water was refreshing. Weirdly enough, it was quiet. I have yet to see another person.

"Solgen, I have a question." Isaac spoke up.

"Hm?" Solgen replied.

"Since you captured Airon here... Does that mean you acquired The Oracle?"

Me, Zelkes, and Myra's heads jumped up at Isaac's words. We all collectively stared at Solgen who was still leading us up front.

"I was hoping you would bring that up."

Solgen reached into her coat pocket and pulled out a glove. After putting it on, she reached into another pocket near her breast. What came out was a black crystal.

"That's The Oracle we've been searching for..." Zelke muttered.

"Damn near took us a whole week just to get a glimpse of it again and she just comes over and gets it in a couple of minutes..." said Myra, with a slight tinge of annoyance.

"That's our master for you! She gets shit done!" Isaac chuckled. Solgen proceeded to pocket The Oracle and glove back in her coat.

"Thank you for the praise, Isaac. Now, enough dawdling. We must head to the palace! We have someone waiting for us there."

Someone is waiting for us at the palace? Could it be?

For a moment, my heart fluttered in anticipation, hoping that maybe Claude de Vusech didn't die after all.

When we got there though, was when the realization that this wasn't Earth truly settled. The second event where Isaac and I experienced another heavy loss. The place where Isaac and I had truly felt hopeless in the face of absolute strength...

****

"Archbishop Zolvo... You say that you cannot find any trace of the Apithiens?"

"Yes, your Excellen- Excuse me. That was the slip of the tongue. I have just discovered mana residue near a tree, and there is no trail visible as if someone teleported them away."

"..."

That means Solgen has already caught up and captured them. It would also mean that she is in possession of The Oracle... Troubling news indeed. I'll have to report this to Goddess Artoic herself.

"You did well, Archbishop Zolvo. Return to your post."

"Yes, your Excellency. May the gods bless you."

"May the gods bless you."

After the prayer, the archbishop's voice was no more, signaling that our telepathic meeting was over. The whole time I was sitting on a bench in an empty church, the stained glass that captured the magnificent essence of the very gods was right in front of me. I am a very fortunate and lucky man to have encountered such divine beings. To be relied on... I will do whatever is necessary to satisfy their every order.

And to spread their teachings...

"I'll have to travel to Jahla tomorrow and comfort the people whose homes were destroyed by humans. Strengthening my position of power is what's needed to continue controlling the masses. And to strike fear in the hearts of others. To control everything and have all life revere the gods."