Chapter 10- Guilds

Sophie and I were patiently waiting for the doors of a lavish mansion to open- which was located in Los Angeles, California. The estate was a 2-acre lot with 12 bedrooms, 16 bathrooms, its own bar, a giant swimming pool, a 6-door car garage, and many other luxurious rooms that I could go on and on for hours. The windows of the mansion were recently washed and polished, seemingly glistening in the sunlight as expensive couches, chandeliers, and appliances highlights the smooth interior. Whenever I see this place, I think about buying a mansion just like this using my Dungeon Conqueror money, but I would slap myself for the mere thought. I'm happy with my own humble abode... even if guilt tends to build the longer I am there.

"Maybe you should ring the doorbell again, Joel." Sophie whispered in my ear.

"Right..." Before I could press the button again, the sound of the lock was heard. Seconds later, the door opened.

"There you are! What took ya forever in finding him, Sophie?" said a husky voice. It was a balding middle-aged man you would see in the pub late at night. A greasy face and cheeks so big you would think he had just been stung by a swarm of bees. A bushy mustache sat under his crooked nose. Whenever he smiles, you would notice that the man had a few gold teeth. His most talked about feature would be his pot belly. This man right here is a man who could drown a few beers without breaking a sweat. While his outward appearance may make him seem like a deadbeat, he was one of the most hardworking and kindest individuals you would ever meet.

"I looked everywhere for him and found him sleeping in a park in the middle of the city!" Sophie said.

The man looked at me in disbelief. "That's kind of weird, don't ya think Joel?"

"Yea yea... where's Mr. Reed at, Paul?" I grimaced. I just want to get this over with already and see what Mr. Reed wants.

Paul somewhat got the picture and stepped aside. "Come on in and follow me, I'll lead yall to him."

The middle-aged man led us inside the mansion. To our right was a spiral staircase that led you upstairs to the bedrooms. To our left was a corridor that led you to the kitchen, bar, and lounge area. They were all smushed into one room. The bar and kitchen had a row of chairs facing a black marble counter with pristine wine glasses sitting on top. Two coffee tables sat in the middle of cushioned seats and a 98- inch flat screen tv was mounted over a black-bricked fireplace. We passed by the bedrooms and theater room on the first floor and made our way to the backyard where the gigantic pool awaited us- a pool so clear and still that the blue sky and fluffy clouds reflected on the angelic.

"Man, Mr. Reed has a nice house..." I said, darting my eyes at every nook and cranny.

Sophie giggled at my remark. "With how much we get paid as Dungeon Conquerors, you could buy 2 of them and still have more money to spend."

"Yea... as dungeon conquerors..." My voice trailed. We finally arrived at the end of the mansion's premises which had a few pine trees planted on reseeded grass. Paul pointed at a particularly large metal shed at the edge. It was big enough to be called a second garage...

"See that shed over there? We're almost there." He motioned for us to follow. A door stood before us, and right next to it was a keypad. Paul punched in numbers with surprising speed for his age, and the door opened with a click. Once we arrived inside (why was the shed empty?), the man walked toward a suspicious door on the wooden floor. He opened it, and stairs leading downwards were revealed.

"That's kind of creepy. Leading us downstairs." The girl recoiled away. Sophie was not fond of the dark, especially when it deals with going underground. I learned that the hard way...

"If you got a complaint, send it to Mr. Reed." Paul shrugged. He closed the door behind us as Sophie and I descended downwards- the sound of rickety wood pierced our ears with every step. Not long after, another door appeared. The man walked in front of a microphone and whispered a few words at it. The volume was too low so I couldn't hear but I'm guessing it was some kind of password since the door creaked open. Peering inside, the view looked like it came from a movie.