Chapter 39- Myra's Great Idea

Rattle...

Rattle...

"Psst! Are you sure this is a good idea?" I said to Myra.

"Are you doubting my intelligence, Isaac?"

"Yes. Yes I am. What if we get caught?"

"Then we'll run away and look for another carriage to hide in."

"No one is stupid enough to let that happen!"

Myra and I were hiding inside a wagon that is connected at the back of a carriage. Fresh hay was smothered on top of us so we cannot move or else the rustling will alert the old couple driving this thing. It was Myra's idea to wait for the perfect chance to hijack this thing when we noticed two old people taking a short break near a pond.

"Shut up and stay quiet until we arrive..." She hissed.

"Alright, sheesh."

Is it bad that I miss my sister already?

The sound of hooves in the distance grew louder from behind us. It didn't take long before they were near the carriage, yelling at the couple to stop. They followed what was commanded and the carriage was at a standstill.

"W-who are you folks? Are you bandits?" The old man yelled.

"No, we're the carriage inspectors...of course we're bandits! Boys! Drag em outta there!" One of the bandits screamed. While they were doing their thing, I muttered softly at Myra.

"What now?"

"What do you mean what now? If they search through the hay, we'll deal with them."

Sounds easy enough.

"There ain't much in here! Just some pelts, food, and clothes inside the crates." One of the bandits barked.

"Check inside the hay. They must have something inside all that hay..."

Hearing that, we both held our breaths, waiting for one of the bandits to come over. I could hear their shoes stomping against the crunchy dirt, slowly inching toward us. I heard shuffling above us as they brushed their hands against the hay. I felt something rough graze my arm and a surprised yelp from one of the bandits.

"Now!" Myra mouthed. We both jumped out of the hay like kids hiding beneath a pile of leaves. The bandits had shocked expressions on their faces, and before they could shout in surprise, I stabbed one of them in the heart.

"Guh!"

The man was knocked down to the ground. Behind me, Myra already shot three of them dead. Up ahead were five more bandits, with two brown stallions in tow. The old couple was on their knees, mouths still agape when they saw us jump out of the wagon. They had stark white hair and faces as wrinkled as shriveled apples. Just like the rest of the Athios, they had horns on their heads.

"You had guards tucked away?" The bandit leader scoffed. He reached into his back and unsheathed a sword. "What are you waiting for? Get the-"

With quick shots, Myra killed four of the bandits before they could process what just happened.

"What the?!" The leader cried. With a frightened expression, he looked around at his fallen comrades in a panic and hadn't noticed that I was already in front of his face. Opening my palms wide, I grabbed the man's face and slammed him to the ground, his sword clattering to the side.

"Well, that was easy! You're safe from these bandits!" I called out. The old couple was still shaking, but they slowly rose.

"I would like to express my gratitude, dear saviors..." the lady's voice quivered. Her husband patted her on the back and shot a question I was prepared for ever since we hijacked their carriage.