Chapter 44- The Arachne

"Cardinal Nicholas, may the divine bless your soul."

In the presence of the Cardinal, I lowered my body into a kneeling position and bowed to his Eminence. The Cardinal was preparing for his daily prayer to the divine beings. I was told that his Eminence wanted to see me personally.

"Archbishop...It seems that we have a disease running rampant in our holy kingdom." He remarked without facing my direction.

"A disease?" I asked, confused about what he was trying to say.

"Yes, disease. There are Humans, specifically two of them, that are running around like rats in a sewer. They are in a hurry to intercept the Apithien. I'm sure you know what I'm getting at..."

The Cardinal clasped his hands together in a sort of prayer while kneeling, whispering onto an altar filled with offerings to the divine.

If the Cardinal of all people is confining to me, someone on the lower end of the ladder among the ten Archbishops, then that could only mean one thing.

"I will deal with them properly. I will send in the assassination team from Ruin. Have no fear, your Eminence."

The Cardinal continued his prayer for thirty minutes as he hasn't moved an inch from his spot on the red carpet. His Eminence is the most faithful worshipper all through Aglona. No matter whether he is healthy or sick, he will, without fail, pray to the divine Pillars. If he were to somehow miss a single day, he would seek forgiveness from the divine by sacrificing whatever they ask for, be it an arm, leg, or even half the population.

His mumblings soon stopped, and he rose from his position.

"Thank you, Archbishop."

The Cardinal finally turned his body and walked along the steps as he stood over my body.

"How are things on your end in Cronas?" He probed.

"Progression is coming along smoothly. I feel as if we are closer than ever before."

"Hm..." The Cardinal hummed. He stroked his chin free of hair as he stared down.

"Archbishop, do you know why we are conducting these experiments?"

"...Because the divine has willed it. Understanding their true motives are useless as we mortal beings cannot hope to comprehend their reasons." I answered promptly.

"Yes... that is a fine answer, I suppose..."

Cardinal Nicholas strutted to the front of the Church and took a seat on one of the wooden benches.

"We do these experiments in hopes of opening the door to The Labyrinth. An area that lies deep within the Wyvern Zone."

The Labyrinth? I have never heard of such a place. If the Cardinal formed the Church of Pillars and Ruin to exert this much effort and manpower for this so-called Labyrinth, then it must be a place filled with knowledge and riches that the Cardinal himself is interested in. The Cardinal is a man who seeks knowledge above all else.

"That is enough. Go back to your post, Archbishop Catalina." He commanded.

"Yes, your Eminence." Without uttering another word, I stood up on my feet and opened the wide doors of the church, leaving.

"As an Archbishop, I will do my utmost best."

I will not displease you.

****

Of all the battles I have been through- starting from the fight with Volken, we barely managed to hang on to our lives until Solgen came to our rescue. The pit with all the zombies and the incomplete Chimera Wyvern wasn't difficult at all. My fight with Doukur was fun and exhilarating. And right now...