Chapter 18

James ran to her, and she cried in his arms, and I backed away. I felt sorry for Lauren. I felt myself shift into my wolf, without pain this time.

I ran all the way back to the cabin. My sense of smell was incredible. I could smell the steak that Liz was cooking. My stomach growled at the smell.

I shifted back and walked through the door. Gabe was there in an instant, hugging me.

"I missed you." He mumbled in my hear. I buried my face in his chest. Finally, he let go and carried me to the kitchen. I liked him carrying me. He set me on a stool. Liz came running to me and I picked her up. I hugged her and felt Gabe's arms around us. I smiled.

~¥~ 80 years later

I laughed at Liz. She was walking on a pole but fell in the water beneath her. Her wings were fully grown. She looked a lot like me.

She got out of the water, frowning. I laughed again, and felt Gabe hug me from behind. I hadn't thought about James that much, and eventually, I forgot about him.

I know somewhere in my head I am still thinking about him, but I don't care.

"I have something to tell you all." She said. "I'm the queen of Smoke and Glass." I released the breath I was holding. Then the dream 80 years ago came back to me.
"I know." I whispered.

"Then you should know that I must leave you at age 18. Which is 180 years for us. And I'm that age. I need to leave." I sighed, then went to hug her, not caring about her being soaking wet. "I'll still be able to see you, you just need to chant my name in a mirror."  I nodded. She let go and hugged Gabe. Then she stood back. She closed her eyes and a mirror appeared.

"Goodbye." Then she walked in the mirror, and then the mirror disappeared.

She was gone.

~¥~ dreaming.

"I'm always right" Jasmine said. "You knew about this and you didn't prepare for it. Elizabeth was always going to leave."

"Did you do this to her?!" I demanded. "She was all I had for 100 years until Gabe came along."

That reminded me. "Who killed you?"

She was quiet for a while.

"James."