Mom, We Need To Talk

It was Monday morning and I was waking up in wrapped in Chris's arms. I knew he was awake, I could tell with how tight he was holding me and I knew he heard me trying not to cry. We knew what today was and I didn't want to go. The alarm went off and since I was closer to it I turned it off.

"Vinny..." Chris said and I turned in his grip and he saw that I had been crying.

"I don't want to go." I said and buried my face in his chest. He held on to me.

"Hey, it will be okay. 2 weeks and I will be coming to your place for Prom and everything. 2 weeks, I think we can do two weeks." Chris said and I nodded lifting my head to look at him and he gave me a kiss. There was a knock on his door and then it opened. We looked to see Scott and he smiled.

"Breakfast. Vinny, your mom said bring your bag down when you come down." Scott said and I nodded. He closed the door and I groaned.

"I need to go shower and get packed."

"I'll help your get your bag downstairs." Chris said and I nodded. I went into my room and pulled out clothes for my shower and went to shower crying while I was there. A lot changed on this trip, a lot. I wouldn't trade this trip for anything. Once I was done and dressed I opened the bedroom door and Chris was standing there.

"I'm packed." I said. He walked in the bedroom and grabbed my suitcase taking it down to the door. We walked into the kitchen hand in hand. Everyone gave us sympathetic smiles.

"Thanks guys..." Chris said and he sighed. We got some breakfast and sat together at the table. We talked over the plans of him and Lisa coming to Ohio in 2 weeks and how everything was going to go and soon it time for mom and me to leave. I hugged everyone and told them goodbye. Chris grabbed my suitcase and walked me out to the car. Once we got to the car I wrapped my arms around him and he did the same.

"2 weeks and I will be able to hold you again." I said and Chris sighed.

"I love you Vinny." Chris said and I pulled my head back and looked at him.

"I love you too." I said and he leaned down and kissed me. Once we broke apart I smiled.

"What?" Chris asked.

"I may have taken your shirt I have been sleeping in." I said and he laughed.

"Good." Chris said and showed me his wrist. "Because I stole a hair tie of yours so I can wear it until I see you." Chris said and I laughed.

"Sounds like an even trade." I said and he smiled. He gave me one final passionate kiss and I got in the car.

"Call when you get home." Chris said and I nodded as I shut the car door. Chris watched us pull out of the driveway then down the street. I sighed and just looked out the window.

"That was a nice weekend." Andrea said finally break the silence as we got on the highway and I nodded.

"Mom...I have to talk to you." I said and she sighed.

"Okay...never a good thing to hear after you just spent the weekend with your boyfriend." Andrea said and I sighed.

"Well not all of it deals with Chris." I said.

"Okay well tell me the Chris news first." Andrea said and I took a deep breath.

"Chris and I had sex this weekend, twice..." I said and she looked at me and laughed.

"Oh Vinny, Lisa and I both know that. We found you in bed together the morning after Prom. Now I didn't know it was twice, but as long as you both were safe...you were safe weren't you?" Andrea asked and I nodded.

"Very." I said. "Wait you caught us and didn't say anything?!" I asked shocked.

"We didn't want to embarrass you two." Andrea said and I groaned.

"Well now I'm mortified." I said and she smiled and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"It's fine. It's why Lisa got Chris the condoms and why I'm buying you some when we get home for your room when he comes to stay." Andrea said and I placed my head in my hands.

"So embarrassing." I groaned and she laughed. After the sheer embarrassment wore off I look at my mom.

"I have something else to discuss, something more serious." I said and she sighed.

"Okay..." She said and I sighed.

"When I was applying to colleges I didn't just apply to OSU. I applied to one more college." I said and she looked at me confused.

"I though OSU was always the plan?" Andrea asked.

"It was but I had to keep my options open." I said and she sighed.

"Okay, well what other school?" Andrea asked.

"Stanford." I said. The car went silent. I looked at my mom wasn't saying anything. "Mom?" I asked.

"California? You applied to a school in California?" Andrea asked and I nodded.

"I didn't think I would get in." I said.

"But you did?" She asked and I nodded.

"I did. I know it wasn't in the plan but mom I think Stanford would be an amazing opportunity. I mean it's Stanford." I said and she sighed.

"And it's in California where Chris is going." Andrea.

"Mom this was done way before Chris. I didn't know his plans when I knew about Stanford." I said.

"But now that you know his plans you want to go to California?" She asked and I sighed.

"Not just for him mom. I mean Stanford wants me in their school? Stanford!" I said and she sighed.

"OSU though, you love OSU." She said and I sighed.

"Mom please..." I begged and she sighed.

"I just don't think it's a good idea Davina. You know nothing about the school-..."

"I do though! When I got accepted they sent me all the info on the school! Mom please, we can looked at it when we get home. I have it all. I just want you to have an open mind." I said and she sighed.

"Davina, I think your head is clouded from seeing Chris and you are just living on cloud 9. You think you two will be together forever. What if 2 years into school he breaks up with you and you are stuck in California?" Andrea said.

"Damn it mom! It's not just about Chris!" I yelled and she looked at me.

"This discussion is done." She said.

"But mom...." I said.

"No Davina! No Stanford!" She said and I sighed. I went to looking out the window again as I wiped away the silent tears.