Chapter 41: More human interactions... yay...

(Second person POV)

Gingerly picking up the outfit that Catherine had 'cleaned' for you, you carefully examined each part of the cloth, making sure she hadn't damaged it or added something harmful to it.

Really? Koun huffed, her arms crossed over her chest as she raised an eyebrow, You really think she might go that far to hurt you? She's probably just doing this out of goodwill-

There's no such thing as 'goodwill', you cut in, still checking over your clothes, Everyone is doing something to benefit themselves. For example, I'm sticking around 'the guys', as you call them, so that I may gain as much information about the world and Sensei's location. They keep me around because I play along with their little games, running around and saving people and whatnot. If I don't help them and they weren't useful, then we would not have spent so long together.

With a chuckle, the spirit folded her arms behind her head, lying in midair as if she were on some invisible bed. Well, I don't entirely disagree with that sentiment, she grins, her pupils that were identical to your own trained on you, I also think that those who get in my way should be cut down.

...I never said that, you respond, activating your time element to reverse the slash in the cloth as Koun threw her head back and let out a laugh.

Right, right, she smirks, Anyways, what's the deal with you and this 'Catherine' person? I thought you met her sometime before I manifested but based on your memories, that doesn't seem to be it.

...I thought you two met? you answer confusedly, putting on the clothes your teacher had gifted to you that day so long ago, I've never seen this woman before so I thought maybe we met before I got my memory wiped or something...

Yeah, nah, that's not it, the other replies, now lying on her front with her cheek resting on her fist, I've never seen that lady in my life, or the madwoman either, for that matter.

So she was just spouting random things when she said that the two of you met before or something...?

Nodding in response, the silhouette finally stopped lazying around and floated toward the door that supposedly lead downstairs, poking her head through the material to check for potential traps. All clear, she grins as she leans back before phasing through the surface entirely.

I can see that, you answer, finding that you were able to see the world through Koun's eyes. Is this due to the mind element or is it because we're more merged together now? Perhaps both? Pushing the through to the back of your mind, you opened the door and walked through, just as the spirit mutters Probably clairvoyance or something.

What do you mean?

Like, it's a form of clairvoyance or something where you can see through other people's eyes but the host gets blinded.

I see... you murmur, making a mental note as you carefully walked down the polished wooden stairs, eyes carefully taking in any possible signs of a trap on each step and the bannister before placing your foot down.

Once you got to the lower floor, you found yourself standing at the back of a bustling kitchen with three people inside. Recognising one of them as Catherine, you refrained from talking to her and simply used your Shadow Mimicry ability to merge with the darkness, observing their every action from the corner of the room.

"Table fifteen!" a male with a thick white beard yells out as he placed a plate of food on a wooden counter.

"Got it!" a cheery voice calls back as a girl with short ink-coloured hair bounds over, jokingly giving him a salute before whisking the plate away and practically prancing over to the table. Placing the dish down, she then walked over to two new customers that entered the café, assigning them to an empty table before walking off.