Chapter 16: Fragments of the past

(Second person POV)

Drying yourself off and putting on your sleepwear, you threw your outdoor clothes into the washing machine, hoping that the noise from the device wouldn't be too loud. Using your wind element to dry your hair, you took the time to brush your teeth and put on your concoction of lotions and body creams. If you were going to find your teacher, you might as well not disappoint him when you see him. Hearing the bathroom door creak, you caught sight of the familiar pulsing aura that belonged to Lloyd but you pretended not to notice as you went through your nighttime routine.

"Um... I'm... I'm really sorry for what I said at dinner, Miss (y/n)..." the boy murmured, fiddling with his hands as he stared down at his feet, too worried to meet your gaze. What if you didn't accept his apology? How would he be able to become an evil overlord if he doesn't have a loyal second in command like you? How would he be able to earn his father's approval if he-

"Hey, eyes up here, kiddo," you corrected, the sound of your monotone voice cutting through the uncomfortable silence was like a wave of relief that washed over the child, glad that you weren't ignoring him anymore. "You should look at the person you're talking to. It makes things more sincere and makes people trust your words more."

Nodding quickly in response, Lloyd looked into your (e/c) eyes, feeling a little intimidated by your unwavering stare. "I'm sorry for upsetting you during dinner, Miss (y/n)," he tried again, his aura showing that his words were sincere.

"It's fine. I should have drawn my boundaries more clearly in the first place. I don't blame you for touching on the topic," you reply, turning back to the mirror to finish your routine. "There's an unused toothbrush and cup in the cupboard. There are also towels hanging on the rack over there. You should take a shower before going to bed so you don't feel gross going to sleep,"

"Alright, Miss (y/n)!" the boy beamed, grabbing the cloth without hesitation.

"As I said before, just call me (y/n)," you respond, the small smile on your face telling Lloyd that you weren't mad.

"Alright, (y/n)!"

"Place your clothes on the chair over there once I'm finished," you instruct, washing your toothbrush before placing it on its stand and leaving the room. "Go ahead and remember to pull the shower curtain back,"

Hearing the child hum back in response, you shut the door behind you and walked over to the dinner table to wash the dishes, only to find the boy's plate remained untouched since you walked out on him. Feeling a little bad for the kid, you let out a soft sigh as you tipped the unfinished food into the bin, making a mental note to give him a big breakfast tomorrow to make up for it. Eyes lingering on the other dish that was left over as always, you took the plate over to Dart who had already finished yours.

"Do you want some more?" you asked the dragon who shook her head, having eaten two servings already.

Well, I guess this is tomorrow's breakfast for me... you thought, putting the noodles into a container and placing it in the fridge. Running the dirty platters under the tap, you absent-mindedly began to clean them, your mind elsewhere as your body seemed to move on its own. You were questioning whether you should continue your search for your teacher or whether you should move on. 

On one hand, maybe you were the only one holding on and Kusho Sensei had long since forgotten about you. On the other, if you gave up on the search, you would be abandoning your sensei while he might still be trying to reach you. Letting out a sigh, you hated how uncertain you felt, fear's tendrils curling around your mind even as you did nothing. If you stopped looking for him, then it would mean adjusting the routines you had adopted and continued to practice in your day-to-day life. It would mean uncertainty, which in turn would mean change. Or worse yet, irreversible change.