Chapter 19: Hot tea and a conversation

(Second person POV)

Stopping the Fangpyre before they could tie Ed and Edna in chains and then throw them into a broken refrigerator, you managed to persuade the snakes into using thick ropes instead. It'll minimise their discomfort, you thought as you stood on the doorstep of the caravan that didn't belong to you.

"I'm sorry about this," you smile respectfully at the couple who were simply tied to their dining room chairs, "I wish I could do something to make the two of you feel more comfortable, but I doubt I could push my luck any further."

"O-oh no, I'm just glad you managed to make those snakes keep us in our own home," the woman responded, seeming a little more relaxed at your kind manners. "I was worried they would take us to their burrows!"

"They will not do such a thing. Not when you two are under my watch," you assured her, still standing outside as the two hadn't permitted you to enter. "I wish that there was a better way to settle everything, but unfortunately I am unable to change Lloyd's mind."

"Lloyd? Is that uh, the boy with the hood?" Ed chimed in, seeming more comfortable with the atmosphere once you promised their safety.

"Yes. I won't ask you to forgive him for his actions just because he is young, but I hope that you will accept my apology," you answer, bowing to the two to show that you were sincere. Being met with silence, you felt a little disappointed at the reaction despite knowing that was the most probable one. Who's going to forgive a group of people who just barged into their home and destroyed their things, turned them into a snake, and then tied them up so they could lure their son to them and then beat him and his friends up? You for one wouldn't, probably explaining why you didn't join the Ninja when they asked you to.

"Aw, raise your head," the woman's voice cut through the uncomfortable silence, "It's alright, dearie. There are some things we just can't control and I'm sure you tried your best to convince them to not do this so it's not your fault."

Stunned to silence, you lifted your head and stared at the lady in shock, unable to comprehend why she would forgive you just like that.

"You're right, hon," the male to her right added, a smile on his face as he beamed at you, "You did what you could and we're grateful for that."

Opening your mouth, you tried to say something in reply, only for the words to die in your throat as you looked at the two in surprise. Like a goldfish, you repeated the action before giving up on trying to answer and instead asked "May... I come in?"

Before you could start to wonder if you were pushing your luck too far, Edna beamed "Of course! I was wondering why you were standing out there in the dark and not coming inside," Stepping into the caravan, you glanced behind you to check if anyone was watching, only for your search to come up empty. 

Shutting the door behind you, you headed towards the blinds and pulled them shut to prevent any unwanted eyes from peeking inside. Then, you headed towards the couple and made your blade fans materialise from your pocket dimension. "Excuse me," you mutter as you slash through the rope that was tying the two up, much to their relief. "I'm releasing you from your bonds on the condition that you don't leave the caravan and act as if you were tied up under the circumstances that someone comes in," you smile, not entirely sure why you did what you did.

"Oh, thank you, dearie," Edna smiled, heading to the kitchen before asking "Would you like some tea? I've only got bagged tea though,"

"That would be much appreciated," you reply, jamming a chair under the doorknob to prevent anyone from entering or exiting, "Thank you very much."

Once the water had finished boiling, the lady placed a teabag into a mug and poured the hot liquid into the vessel before handing it to you gently. "Careful, it's hot," she cautions as you nod in response, saying another "Thank you" as you watch her make a cup for herself and Ed.