Chapter 33: Close brush with hypnosis, huh?

(Second person POV)

Knocking out Serpentine left and right, Koun seemed in her element with the battle she was fighting, not struggling in the least. Her laughs of exhilaration echoed through the desolate subway, giving an unnecessarily increased eerie feeling when paired with the flickering lights. As her utter elation of being able to unrestrainedly plant fist after fist into her enemies began infecting you too like a drop of ink in clear water, you felt your heartbeat rise in time with her own, allowing for all and any inner feelings you had to be released on others. And just for a moment, that was all there was to it. It was just the two of you and the world was no bigger than the confines of the underground train station.

Once your enemies were all either knocked out or had retreated at the sight of the carnage, Koun let out one final relieved sigh as if she hadn't just wiped out an army of Serpentine but rather gone for a cold shower in the middle of a sweltering summer. Returning control to you, you felt the euphoria drain from you as reality began to set in. Glancing around, you found the once mint-coloured tiles unrecognisable, painted with a shiny new coat of rose-red and littered with the coin-grey bodies of the Constrictai.

"Oh, shit..." you found yourself hissing under your breath in a mix of fear and surprise, crouching down to examine the bodies of your enemies. "You... you didn't kill them did you...?"

What? the other answered, somehow gaining a body and peering over your shoulder like a ghost shrouded in an impenetrable mist, No, of course not... unless they were so weak that they died, but that can't really be considered my fault. Weaklings die. That's all there is to it. Pausing for a moment, the silhouette remarked Also, I didn't know you swore.

I what? you inquire, not sure what she was talking about.

Swear, idiot, Koun eye-rolled, propping her chin on her palm as she lay on your crouched figure, Things like shit and fuck? How do you not even know what those are?

I... I do remember saying the first word before... you recall as a wave of relief washed over you upon finding that your opponents still had a pulse. But I don't know what it meant and I just instinctively blurted it out. Pausing for a moment, you remembered your teacher had once said 'fuck' but told you not to search it up. And, as the trusting disciple you were, you did as he told you. To this day, you still don't know what it means.

Oooh...kay... the ghost-like being muttered, running a hand down her face, I need to stop swearing so much or I might influence you, especially if we keep merging...

Pushing her words to the side, you watched emotionlessly as your split knuckles began to heal rapidly, skin extending and almost crawling over your exposed flesh before sealing itself shut like it was never wounded in the first place. After that sudden emotional rollercoaster after getting used to feeling apathy twenty-four-seven, you felt rather tired and drained in a way, but you refused to rest, not when your friends were still in danger.

Alright... you thought to yourself as you used your light element to turn yourself invisible, Zane should have gotten away by now and either gone to get back up or went to save his friends. Knowing him, he probably did the latter-

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps made your ears perk up in alarm, making you instinctively freeze next to the pile of unconscious snakes. The sound of several pairs of feet and the sound of scales sliding on tile made you let out a soft tsk of annoyance.

"I-it was horrible, sir!" you heard a serpent cower, "She... She was like a monster, wiping out our entire squad like we were nothing! A-and she was grinning like she was having the best time of her life! She had this look in her eye that seemed like she was looking at nothing more than wriggling maggots when she saw us-"