Chapter 53: This was not in the job description-

(Second person POV)

"...I didn't agree to this," you mutter, glaring at Catherine who was trying to adjust the bow that was tied around your waist.

"Well, you did agree to get paid to do waitress work..." she murmured in reply as Lucas helped find any parts of the maid uniform that were out of place.

"Yeah, I did, but not while wearing this!" you snarl, throwing your arms into the air, nearly hitting the teen in the process.

"Careful," the male sighed, adjusting his thin-rimmed glasses and brushing some of his messy strands of hair off of his face,  "You could have undone the apron."

"Also, why is he here?" you hissed to the older woman who simply chuckled awkwardly at your remark, unsure of how to respond.

"I work here," the other answered with an unimpressed expression on his face, "I'm the manager when Catherine isn't around so you should treat me, and the others, for that matter, with a little more respect."

Rolling your eyes, you didn't say anything else and just kept quiet as they made adjustments to your outfit here and there, with the older of the two giving you compliments and praises while the latter seemed to be more focused on the uniform.

"Ah, we're done here, (y/n)," the lady with onyx-black hair beamed, clasping her hands together with pride. "How is it?"

Moving around with a sigh, you answered, "As good as it can be in this thing..."

"Oi," Lucas muttered, knocking you on the head with his knuckles, an annoyed scowl on his face, "At least say it nicely. She went and got it tailor-made for you."

"N-now, now," Catherine interjected with a worried smile, stopping the two of you before you could get into a fight, "It's not that bad, really. (y/n) is just rather... cold, to outsiders, and Lucas cares too much."

"Yeah, right." the two of you huffed at the same time, causing you to glare at him while he turned away, seemingly not noticing your glower.

With a sigh, you decided you might as well drop it. After all, arguing will just decrease the amount of time spent gathering information on Lloyd, and with every moment you waste, he could be closer and closer to danger.

"I'll head out now," you mutter, walking out of the changing rooms while Lucas stayed behind, much to your relief.

"Good luck!" Catherine encouraged as you headed out, barely hearing the other teen's hum of agreement as you went.

Stepping out from inside the room and into the kitchen, you caught sight of Mateo, with his usual bushy, snow-white beard and his equally white, toothy grin cooking. Next to him was Vanessa, her azure-blue eyes concentrated on the dish she was making and not noticing your presence. Rea, on the other hand, seemed to catch sight of you almost immediately, giving you a small wave before turning away again.

...They seem to be in a good mood, you thought to yourself as you emerged from the back of the store and into the dining area where Zoe was already serving away, running here and there and taking orders.

Noticing you, she stopped in her tracks, almost cartoonishly skidding to a stop before turning to you with a bright grin. "Yo! Rookie! How've you been?" she asked, her short raven-black hair swishing around as she spoke, "Good, yeah? So, basically what you need to do is go and direct them to a table, take the customers' orders, and greet them with something cheery, like 'Welcome! How have you been this morning!' or 'Wassup, bro?! What can I getcha?', y'know?"

No, I don't know- you were about to mutter when the sound of the bells on the door chiming cut you off as a male that seemed no older than twenty-one stepped into the café. Giving you a slap on the back, Zoe pushed you toward the customers with a grin, giving you a wink that wordlessly said 'We're counting on you!' Just as you were about to grab her and ask her what exactly you were supposed to say, she dashed away, pretending to have something to do behind the counter.