Chapter 39

"We could go through a portal?" Moxxie offered from his side of the conference table, his hand balled in a fist as he rested his cheek on it.

"Too obvious, I'd prefer to sneak up on him somewhere private," you explained, "not make a huge scene."

"We'd have to find an open area where we can hide at a distance in case anything goes wrong, somewhere where we won't be able to see us so he won't run like a little bitch," Blitz explained as he continued to pace back and forth at the front of the room, his hands tucked behind his back.

"Where is he now?" You asked Stolas who sat awkwardly on the other end of the table.

"Uh...," he dusted his hands against the table and opened a small portal in front of him, studying it for a moment, "looks like he's at someone's house...he's purchasing a handgun..." Stolas continued.

Blitz quickly marched by Stolas and peered into the portal over his shoulder. He grimaced with an expression that was unimpressed and smug before saying, "that's a pathetic glock."

"Can you listen in on what they're saying?" you asked.

"Yes, give me a moment."

The room sat in silence until suddenly voices bubbled through the portal and their words became clear. You listened carefully as they continued their exchange, Nero handed over a good chunk of cash and put the pistol in his back pocket carelessly. He thanked the stranger once again for the deal and then he headed out the door. He was back on the main street of Imp City, just down a few blocks from where all of you were now. You felt your throat get tight as he began walking down the street and heading in the direction of the offices.

"Do you think he's coming here?" Loona asked.

"I...I'm not sure but it could be a possibility?" Stolas said as he continued to stare into the glowing portal.

"I need to go into the alleyway right next to us," you exclaimed, "All of you can be in the windows with your weapons drawn ready to fire if need be, but I'll try to get his attention and draw him in."

"Ya can go right through the fire escape, the ladder drops down into the alley pretty far," Millie smiled wildly.

"Now wait just a second we don't know-" Moxxie began to mutter but before he could get out the rest of his words all of you stood from the table and ran out of the conference room.

Millie was right, the fire escape led right down into the alleyway. You pried open the painted over window until it creaked and squeaked upright. You slipped yourself beneath the opening and climbed over the bars of the escape, snagging onto the metal ladder and letting yourself slide down it until your feet hung off the end, still dangling just a few feet above the ground. You let your grip loosen and landed on the ground harshly, your feet aching as you did so.

"Be careful baby, we're right here," Blitz called down to you from the window. You nodded with a gentle smile as you walked down the alleyway a tad and positioned yourself at the end of it just before it opened up into the street.

You listened carefully as more windows opened up above and everyone got into their placements, weapons drawn and safeties off. You gulped as you reached down and touched the knife that was still placed in your pocket. You looked up toward the windows and saw everyone staring down towards you, including Stolas who gave you a panicked nod as he pointed toward the street. You knew then and there that this was really happening.

You pressed your back against the wall, setting your hand on the knife. You listened closely as footsteps began to echo off of concrete sidewalks and draw in closer to you. You peered up to see everyone's eyes peeled on the street, anxiety and stress pouring over their faces. You breathed deeply as the footsteps became right beside you on the sidewalk. You whipped your head to the right and saw him. He wore a black jacket with the hood up, a pair of jeans, and old boots. You exhaled slightly, clenched your fists, and shouted toward him.

"Hey you! Nero!"