Chapter 23

You woke up to sunlight pouring over your eyelids. You closed them tighter and brought the back of your hands to your eyes, rubbing them roughly. You yawned and opened your eyes, your surroundings surprising you as you had almost forgotten where you were. The entrance to Hell stared back at you with its clean glow. You turned your head to find Loona still sitting beside you, she was sleeping as well. She really had stayed with you all night. You gave her arm a gentle tap.

"What the fuck?!" She yelled, jolting in her seat.

"Sorry, sorry, it's me. It's morning" you explained, Loona calmed down and took in her surroundings.

"Fuck, I fell asleep" she noted.

"Me too," you admitted, "at least we got through the night" you laughed, standing and grabbing your files from the chair beside you, "well, I guess I can go to my apartment now, do you wanna come?" You offer.

"Nah, I'll see it another time. Should probably check on Blitz, I'm sure he's freaking out with the whole you leaving thing and the me not coming home thing" You nodded and the two of you walked out and began making your way down the street.

The two of you walked until you stood in front of the IMP headquarters. You had to take a left and Loona had to continue going straight. She turned around and said, "well this is me." You wrapped your arms around her and squeezed her tightly and surprisingly she gave you a hug in return.

"Monday" you reassured, she nodded, tucked her hands into her pant pockets, and continued to walk down the road. You turned and began to head toward Engulf Village, you could see the building towering over the street just a few blocks down. You knew it would be strange stepping into an empty apartment and living with absolutely nothing but you figured that starting out fresh was a better alternative than living with the man you never truly had.

Your apartment was on the second floor, apartment 229. You stopped by the leasing office and were handed a silver key engraved with the name of the apartment complex. You held it tightly in your hand as you stood in front of your red door knowing that the start of a new chapter was just on the other side. The key slid in its slot with ease and turned to the left with just a bit of tension before giving way. The door opened to the very same room that you had toured yesterday except that yesterday it was just an idea, today it was a reality.

You stepped inside, shutting and locking the door behind you. You couldn't help but take in the nothingness. No furniture, no decor. This was a perfect representation of your being without Blitz, it was nothing. He truly had become your everything. He was essential to your survival, to your being. It was pathetic.

You dropped the files on the counter and hung the keys from a small empty hook in the wall. The apartment complex did provide you with a microwave in the kitchen, huge bonus. You followed your immediate instinct and let yourself lay in the middle of your living room floor, staring at the white ceiling bellowing over you. You felt peace and anxiety at the same time. It was numbing. You turned your head to the right and peered out of the balcony's window. IMP. The building glared back at you, the business that he had built. You stood and walked to the window, grabbing onto the beige blinds and yanking them closed. Out of sight out of mind.

Payday was yesterday so you did have a bit of cash laying in your bank account. Moxxie had gone with you and insisted that you set up a proper bank account so that you were an "efficient" imp. You'd gotten paid every month by Blitz, you'd never really had anything to spend it on. You weren't even entirely sure how much money was in your account but you figured there should be enough for something. Your first purchase for your new home was going to be a blanket, some pillows, a house phone, hell maybe even a cheap cell phone, a couple plates, some cups, some silverware, the basics.

You snagged the key from the hook and exited your apartment, turning around to lock the door behind you when a familiar voice jolted you out of your train of thought.

"Hey! Y/N! Took my advice and moved in, huh?" it echoed. You turned to find Cyrus standing behind you, a few bags of groceries dangled from his arms. Groceries, you were also gonna need some damn groceries. You added it to your mental list.

"Cyrus! Ha, yeah! They're pretty nice actually" you smiled, proud of yourself for properly remembering his name this time.

"I'm surprised that you remembered where they were and what they were called, you were pretty hammered" he chuckled.

"I'm not gonna lie, I stumbled on them and then remembered" you laughed.

"Well, my apartment is just across the hall actually, we're practically roommates," he laughed, pointing to the apartment behind him.

"I'll definitely remember that whenever I need to bug you for something."

"Uh, nevermind actually I live like two stories up" he laughed, giving you a friendly punch in the arm.

"Sure, sure. Alright well I've actually got to get going, gotta make this place livable ya know?" you said awkwardly stepping to the side.

"Of course, I'll see you around" he winked. You felt your face go flush as you tucked a strand of your hair behind your ear.

"Yeah, yeah...I'll see ya" you finished as you turned and walked toward the stairwell feeling his eyes burning into the back of your body.