*Blackout

SONG REQUEST FOR THIS CHAPTER: 'I WANT YOU (SHE'S SO HEAVY) BY JOE ANDERSON

1,902 Words

We were all in the living room, all squished onto the long L-shaped couch re-watching 'The Notebook' for what felt like the 1000th time this year. Today it was Nat's turn to choose the movie and of course, she chose one of the most sob-worthy films there is. You were sat directly in front of the TV with Thor, Tony, Steve and Wanda on your right and Nat, Sam, Bruce, Clint and Bucky on your left. Just as Allie was in Noah's grasp and he held her up in the air, the entire room went black and silent.

"No!" Nat whined. "That's the best part!"

"I think we have bigger problems than that, Nat" Said Clint, causing Nat to side-eye him.

Tony stood from the couch and rummaged under the coffee table, pulling out a flashlight and turning it on.

"I'll go check it out, stay here." Tony said as he walked out of the living room, leaving us all in the darkness as quickly as it came before.

Me, Nat and Wanda all pulled out our phones and turned on the flashlights, illuminating the pitch-black room.

"Hey guys, you might wanna come check this out"

We all turned our heads to see Sam staring out at the city through the wall-length windows. Everyone cautiously walked over to him, to inspect what was going on.  Darkness. Not a single light was on all throughout the city. A complete blackout.

"I think there was a blackout on the entire city." you gazed at the black, tall buildings.

Tony came rushing back into the room. "There was a blackout that wiped out the whole of New York"

"Yep, I think we gathered that." Argued Steve. You could practically hear Tony's eye roll from behind you.

"Well, what are we going to do now?" Nat whined again "I really wanted to finish the movie"

"We can finish it some other time, and besides we've all seen it like a million times already thanks to you picking it practically every time it's your movie night choice." You argued back at Nat.

"Not every time! I picked that horror movie last week."

"Yeah, only because you and I made a bet at who could get Cap to swear first and you lost!"

"Oh God, don't remind me" Steve cringed.

"Language!" We all said in unison, earning an eye roll from Steve.

"Well, I don't know about you guys but I'm pretty tired from the mission today, so I'm going to head off" Thor turned out of the living room and out to the garden.

"I think that's my queue to go to bed" Tony walked out of the room.

"No, come on, we can all play a game or something. Truth or Dare?" Nat tried to convince everyone but you were pretty beat from the mission today.

"No, I think I'm just going to head upstairs too" You walked out of the room, leaving everyone else there to play whatever torturous games Nat had in mind.

You walked up the stairs and into your bedroom and grabbed a blanket and a packet of cigarettes from your purse. You tiptoed up to the open roof and laid your blanket down and tucked your legs under each other whilst looking at the view of the city. In the distance, you could see tiny burning flames from lit candles through people's windows. You picked up the box of cigarettes, pulled one out, place it in between your lips and searched for your lighter. You left it in your purse.