Chapter 11

Trenton pressed his lips against mine one more time before pulling away. His hands slide out of my shirt and off my body as he took a step back.

                I bit my lip, not saying anything. I stepped down, not realizing that I had been standing on the tips of my toes. I braced the palms of my hands against the counter, taking in a deep breath.

                “Come on, let’s go get something to eat.” He said, heading out of the bathroom.

                “I’ll… I’ll meet you there.” I breathed out. He shrugged.

                I waited until I heard his footsteps echo down the stairs.

                I took another deep breath, running a hand through my curls.

                “I just kissed Trenton.” I whispered, looking in the mirror. I felt… different. Whether it be good or bad, I simply did not feel the same. I studied my face, looking for some change in my appearance.

                My skin was pale, the darkness of my hair contrasting strongly. I had the same eyes I’d always had, the same nose and lips. Everything looked the same.

                Running a hand through my hair once more, I stepped back, straightening his shirt. I wanted to change into something I could wear, but I didn’t know what.

                I walked quietly into his bedroom. I could hear Trenton messing around downstairs as I walked into his room, closing the door behind me. Opening his closet, I examined the choices before me.

                Ten minutes later, I walked out of his room, buttoning up the last of the buttons on one of Trenton’s flannel shirts.

                Dressed in a pair of his jeans clearly too small for him and a back flannel shirt, I finally looked decent enough to walk down. I would have preferred to wear something underneath the flannel aside from my bra, but I made do with what I had.

                I walked into the kitchen to see Trenton at the table with a bowl of cereal. He had set an empty one at the chair opposite his, leaving the box and milk still out.

                I took a seat, pouring in the food.

                “Nice outfit.” He mumbled, taking a bite.

                “Sorry, I didn’t think you’d mind me borrowing it.” I said apologetically “I don’t think the jeans would fit you anyways.”

                He didn’t say anything, chewing.

                “What time is it?” I asked, breaking the silence that had fallen between us.

                “Ten-something.”

                “Oh.”

                Mom wouldn’t start calling until noon. I was still on the safe side. For now.

                The silence formed once again, growing increasingly uncomfortable. I didn’t know what to say. What do you do after someone steals your first male-to-female kiss from you when you told them not to?

                Apparently you say nothing.

                “I’ll return the clothes Monday morning.” I promised.