Chapter 31

“Taylor, shut the fuck up!” Erica hissed.

                “Sorry!” I whispered back, “Are you ready?”

                “Let’s go.”

                I slipped my legs through the window, moving out until I felt my feet touch the top of the roof on the first level. Erica was my guide as we carefully slipped down to the edge where the gutter was. She sat down on the edge, hanging her feet off.

                “Is there a window underneath me?”

                I shook my head.

                Erica slipped off, landing with a soft thud.

                I followed in suit.

                It was dark as we sprinted down the block to where her car was parked at the opposite end. It was seven o’clock in the evening, and prom started in an hour. Erica and I had come to the mutual agreement that my mother would never allow me to go to prom, thus meaning I had to sneak out. I could feel the thrill of rebellion coursing through my veins as our feet clattered down the side walk quickly.

                We reached the car a few seconds later.

                Erica turned it on and sped down my drive way quickly.  

                “What if she finds out?” I asked softly.

                Erica rolled her eyes. “What excuse did you use, Taylor?”

                “I said I was sick and going to bed and to leave me alone for the evening.” I summarized. I hadn’t said it that blatantly. There was more politeness in the way I had phrased it earlier. But I said it with hopes she would follow those instructions.

                “Then you’re fine.”

                “But what if…”

                “I’ll pull over, and you can go back home if you want to.” She snapped at me irritably. “Do you want me to?”

                “No.”

                “Good.”

                It was a silent ride to her house.

                I had never been to her house before. It was a small one story little house fifteen minutes away from my own. Her lawn had brown patches all around the front, something my mother never would have let happen.

                Her house seemed to be kept in nice shape otherwise. Lights lit up behind curtains in the window as shadows moved across signaling activity. Erica parked her car along the side of the road. Once I stepped out of it, I realized why.

                Her driveway had three cars crammed into it.

                “You guys have four cars?” I asked as we made our way to her house.

                She shook her head, “My mom as one, I have one and then the other two are the step dad and step sister’s.”

                “They live with you?”

                She scowled, “Only the step dad. Tami likes her mom more so she visits on the weekends.”

                “How old is she?”