Chapter 7

The alarm clock startled me awake. I forced my eyes open, sitting straight up. The sun seemed in gently from the window.

                I glanced at the clock next to me.

                6:45.

                “Crap!” I hissed, fumbling out of bed. How had I overslept? I must’ve hit snooze at least twice to get this late into the morning.

                I groaned, opening my closet and grabbing a pair of khaki pants. I pulled out a purple crew neck shirt, slipping it on overtop the tank top I had worn to sleep. I slipped the pants on, catching a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

                Today was definitely not going to be a good hair day.

                I pulled back the ends, pinning them with hopes of making it look semi decent. I fluffed my hair, giving myself a once over before rushing off to the bathroom to brush my teeth.

                I would have to skip breakfast today.

                I spat out the toothpaste, opening a bottle of mouthwash. I pulled my phone out of my pocket as a swished the wash around, glancing at the time.

                6:57.

                I spat the mouthwash out, cleaning off my mouth with the back of the hand towel.

                I was so late!

                I grabbed my backpack, slipping on flats. Mom stood in the living room, watching me with a cup of coffee in her hands. I groaned, realizing I had forgotten my glasses upstairs.

                I raced back up the stairs, grabbing them quickly.

                “Did you wake up late?” Mom asked.

                “Yes.” I said, trying not to let my annoyance at her question show through. Why else would I have been rushing to get ready?

                “Hurry up before you miss the bus.” She advised.

                I bit my tongue to keep myself from responding.

                I scrambled out the door, walking quickly up to the corner. The few people that normally stood there were already there.

                The warm wind blew my hair, making me realize the khaki pants were a bad idea. I was definitely going to get too hot.

                “Taylor!” A deep voice called.

                I froze in my tracks, a trickle of worry running down my spine. I had entirely forgotten that Trenton was going to give me a ride to school.

                No, I simply had to pretend I didn’t hear him. Maybe he’d get the message and go away. I moved forward briskly towards the bus stop.

                I arrived at the bus stop with a few minutes to spare. I sighed, taking in a deep breath. It still seemed crazy that I had awakened so late.

                “Forget something?” Trenton called from behind me. I bit my lip, annoyed, turning around to face him.

                He leaned against his car, an eyebrow raised.