Chapter 28

“Taylor!”

                “Psst, Taylor!”

                “Get your ass up, Taylor!”

                Something hard hit my head, “Taylor! Wake up!”

                I groaned softly, pushing my upper body up. My eyes struggled to open as I mumbled something incoherent to the owner of the annoying voice. Whoever it was had waked me up, and it was far too early on a school night for that.

                “What do you want?” I groaned.

                “Get up!” The female voice hissed once more.

                I stumbled out of bed, rubbing my eyes. Slowly, I pried them open enough to glance at the alarm clock next to my bed.

                2:13 in the morning.

                “Erica?” I asked, standing by my window. Her head poked above it. Her fingers were curled around the edge tightly.

                “Yeah, pull me in!”

                Quickly, I forced myself to fully wake up, opening the window more. I grabbed her upper arms, tugging her in. She stumbled onto my desk sloppily. A few papers slid to the floor, but the noise level was kept to a minimum.

                “What are you doing here?” I whispered, now fully awake.

                Erica straightened up, climbing off of my desk. She adjusted her clothing and fixed her hair quickly. She was wearing the same clothes she would wear to school. Shorts and a tank top. I stood in my PJ’s, feeling ridiculous.

                “Get dressed in regular clothing.”

                “What? Why?”

                “We’re going dress shopping.”

                “It’s 2 in the morning!”

                “So? I know a place.”

                “I don’t even know if I’m going to prom!” While my voice was hushed, my words were coming out frantically.

                “You are.”

                I shook my head, rubbing my eyes. Erica moved over to my closet, opening the door slowly to keep the noise level to a minimum. She began to ruffle through it.

                “You can’t be here, Erica.” I said softly, “It’s two in the morning, and I’m still in trouble. I don’t mean to be rude but…”

                “As soon as you get changed, we’ll be leaving.”

                “‘We’?”

                She tossed me a shirt and shorts. “Put those on.”

                I quickly obeyed, slipping my PJ’s off and exchanging them for the clothes she had picked out, “How long will we be out? We have school tomorrow…”

                “Relax. We’ll be gone an hour tops.”

                “An hour?!”