42. Breaking The News

As we step inside, I can hear mom and dad talking to Anthony. I forgot he was still here. He walks past us on the way to the kitchen, holding a partially eaten sandwich in his hand. His chocolate brown hair hidden by his backwards baseball cap. He's got on his black polo shirt and khaki shorts. It always amazes me seeing him standing in front of me. He's almost a foot taller than I am. He's got dads height and build, though he doesn't work out and have the muscle tone like dad has. His eyes are sky blue like moms. He didn't get dads eyes like I did. But we both got dads hair. Although it's salt and pepper now, it used to by the same wavy chocolate brown that we have. Moms hair used to be brown according to grandma. But she's been dyeing it blonde forever, and it's straight. 

Anthony raises his sandwich and nods his head on the way by.

"See ya later sis. Heading to grandma's. Wish me luck."

"You make it sound like she's horrible. She's the sweetest!"

"I know she is. Just makes it harder to leave, and then I feel bad for not spending more time with her. I have to drive back to school tomorrow."

"Got a hot date with that girl of yours yet?"

Dylan's question has Anthony nearly tripping and dropping his sandwich. He turns to look at us, and is blushing.

"How did you know?"

"Just a hunch."

He shakes his head and walks out. We both laugh as we continue to the kitchen. I grab the pizza out of the fridge, and pass the container to Dylan. We both don't mind eating our pizzas cold, so we don't waste time trying to heat them. I go and grab plates out of the cupboard, and we split the remaining slices. We take them out to the living room so we can have some privacy while we eat. We fill each other in on the rest of our days, and I just finish telling Dylan about my day when mom and dad walk into the living room. I finish my last bite and Dylan offers to take our plates back to the kitchen.

Mom and dad sit down in their usual spots on the couch across from me. As Dylan comes back out from the kitchen, he stays behind the couch and says he'll be back in a bit. I feel myself get sad when I realize I don't get to kiss him goodbye. He blows me a kiss when my parents aren't looking, and then lets himself out. I feel my phone buzz in my pocket, and when I check it, it's him

Dylan: Good luck, angel. Text me when you guys are done and I'll come back. I'll also make up for not kissing you goodbye, I promise. I love you.

Me: You caught that did you? Good luck to you too. I love you, baby.

When I look back up, mom and dad are both staring at me. Bring on the nerves. I try to keep myself as relaxed as possible. This is a good thing. I am so excited and ready to move in with him for the next couple weeks. I take a deep breath to help calm down the last of my nerves.

"I wanted to talk to you guys about something. Friday is Dylan's last game before the finals. They've been told final prep and finals will be starting next week."

Mom perks up at that and smiles.

"That's good that they made it to the finals!"

"It is! They've been doing so well this year. The team has improved so much and works so well together."

Dad looks more skeptical, as if he's waiting for the ball to drop. I don't blame him though. He's likely been going over what it could be in his head all day.

"If I remember correctly, their prep and the finals themselves takes up a lot of time."

"You remembered correct. They're usually pretty busy. Not leaving time for much else besides work and sleep."