3. Going Home

"Your food is getting cold."

He takes a bite of his burger without taking his eyes off of me. I know he's not going to let it go. He's too stubborn for that.

"He stopped me after I left the bathroom. He apologized for surprising me. Said it was nice to have some familiar faces at the game cheering you guys on. Said it made a stressful game a little less stressful. Said it also didn't hurt having Sammie and I there distracting the other team. Said he heard them talking about us and wondering who we were there to see. That when we walk out looking stunning, that of course we would catch peoples attention. He apologized for the way he treated me after he and I broke up, and how I didn't deserve it. Said he's been working on processing everything, and not being that angry person anymore. Surrounding himself with better influences. That was it."

He doesn't say anything for a minute and it starts to make me worried. When I look at him, he looks just as confused as I did during the whole thing.

"Shocking, isn't it?"

He nods and takes another bite of his burger while looking out the window. Now I want to know what's going on inside his head. I lean over closer to him and he doesn't seem to notice.

"Kiss for your thoughts?"

He looks down and then takes another bite of his food. I feel my heart sink a bit. He's never denied me a kiss before. I don't like it. I sit back up in my seat and eat my food. We just sit here, eating in silence. When I finish, I gather my garbage and get out of the truck. Instead of walking to the garbage can across from us, I decide to walk to the one down the grassy patch behind us. He can't see me from the truck, and I know if I take long enough, it'll bug him and he'll have to come out and talk to me...right?

I walk down to the garbage can slowly, thoughts spiralling through my head. When I turn around, I don't see him like I thought I would. That makes my heart sink more. How do I keep messing things up? Even when I don't do anything, I still attract it. Theo was even being nice for once! Maybe that's the problem. Does he think Theo had ulterior motives? Is that what's worrying him? Does he think I'll go back to Theo? Does he really think I'd do that to him? Especially after knowing all that he knows about what happened with Theo. Or that our relationship means that little to me?

When I look up, he's coming around the back of his truck. I can't bring my feet to move. I can feel myself starting to panic. My chest feels tight and there's a knot forming in my throat. I look down at my hands and I'm doing that thing again. I don't want him to feel that way. I don't want to mess up what we have. I don't want anything with Theo. Does he think I'm just that kind of person? That one apology and the flash of a smile would magically make things better? Does he not know I love him? He had told his parents he wanted to marry me, does he not feel that way now?

I can hear male voices near me, but I don't recognize them. I finally get my feet to move, as I don't want to be in the way. I can hear them talking to me, and feel one touch my arm. When I turn and look, it's two of the guys from the soccer team that Dylan's team just won against. The one who touched my arm smiles and introduces himself as Andrew. He's tall and slim. His blonde hair is long and wavy like Craig's. His skin tanned a golden brown. His sky blue eyes are kind. He slowly let's go of my arm, and then looks over my shoulder. I can feel Dylan's eyes on me still, and when I turn to look, Dylan's standing right in front of me. He's friendly with them, and puts his garbage in the bin while continuing to talk to them. They ask if he knows me, and he tells them I'm his girlfriend.

The car they're with honks at them, and they leave. As soon as I see them walking away, I start walking back to the truck. I can hear Dylan say my name, but I keep walking. I can tell I'm in flight mode and my minds going a million miles a minute trying to get myself out of it, while being in the thick of it. I haven't had much luck with that before, but I know that if I can just get myself into the quiet truck, I should be able to get myself out of it. Dylan gets ahead of me and I walk right into him. He wraps his arms around me to steady me, and once he feels I've stopped moving, he cups my face.