22. Almost Done

A few minutes pass, and I can hear someone coming down the stairs. I keep my eyes closed, so if it's one of his parents, they should leave me be. I can hear a second someone come down the stairs, and then one of them go back up.

"Looks like I've been replaced."

"You left. I had to find someone who wouldn't leave me."

When I open my eyes, he's standing there with his arms crossed.

"Now I've got to worry about being replaced by a penguin."

"You're the one who bought me said penguin."

"Maybe I shouldn't have."

I squeeze it tight and tell him no backsies. He laughs and shakes his head at me.

"Mhm. We'll see about that. Here I was thinking I'd be nice and bring down dessert, but if I'm going to be getting replaced, I might just eat it all myself."

I stick my hand out for a plate, and he shakes his head at me.

"Not until the penguin gets out of my spot."

I pout, and he stands there, debating whether or not he wants to cave in. When he still doesn't budge, I tuck the blanket in tighter and curl up in a ball. Seems to be the only way to combat these cramps without taking something yet. He goes and sits down on the couch. As I wait for some of the pain to subside, I close my eyes. I can hear him clear his throat, but I'm not sure if he's just doing it because he needs to or if he's trying to get my attention. I can feel the couch move, and then the penguin is being pulled away from me. With how I'm currently laying, it's just my head that was on the penguin, so he doesn't have trouble pulling it out. My head hits the couch, and I can't really bring myself to move. I feel him move some hair off my face, and then he strokes my cheek. When I open my eyes, he's kneeling next to me. He's got such a sad look in his eyes, and I can tell he's searching mine to see if I'm okay.

"Hot water bottle or ice pack?"

"Hot water bottle please."

He gets up and runs upstairs to get one. A couple minutes later he returns with one. I try to sit myself up a little bit, but still end up in a ball, just upright. I get the hot water bottle situated in what feels like the right place, and snuggle up against the back of the couch. He passes me a plate without saying anything. The dessert tastes good, and hits the spot. After we both finish, he puts our plates on the table and then turns to face me.

I get up to use the bathroom, and when I come back out, he's still sitting there waiting for me. I grab my bag and head into his room. These Jean shorts aren't doing me any good, and I packed some comfy stretchy shorts incase I needed them. I change into them, take my bra off, grab the sweater of his that's hanging on the back of his closet door, and put that on. When I come back out, he's sitting there watching for me. He smiles when he sees I've changed.

"More comfortable now?"

I nod and he scoots over so he's in the corner where I was sitting last. I go and sit at the other end of the couch, instead of on the lounger with him like he was thinking I would. I grabbed my new headphones, and my travel game off the table on the way by, and sit here reading the back of each one. I can tell he's looking at me, but he doesn't say anything. I get the headphones opened up and start linking them to my phone. Once I get them linked and tested out, I look over at him. He's just sitting there with him arms crossed, giving me a pouty look.

"What's that look for?"

"You put on my sweater and suddenly don't want to be sitting near me."