5. Hot Tub Detective

I can hear his voice in the kitchen, as I get to the top of the stairs. His mom has him helping with something. I continue out onto the back porch, and am surprised to not see Henry out here. I go and hop into the hot tub and try to relax. I feel like I have this lump in my throat, and I don't like it. Tonight's not the night to bring it up though. We already had a moment earlier. We don't need another one. I could always leave early. But he'd have to drive me home...so that won't work. I could take a cab or call my dad, but he'd suspect something. And he's not the kind of person to just let it go either. If he suspects something, he's going to make it his mission to get to the bottom of it.

I hear the sliding door open and close, and it startles me. When I open my eyes, he's standing there looking at me.

"You not getting in?"

"Just enjoying my view."

I close my eyes again and I can hear him get in. I can feel his hands on my knees, spreading them apart, and him coming up between them.

"I thought you weren't going to be up for round three."

He doesn't say anything and when I open my eyes and look at him, he's looking at me all serious.

"Now what did I do?"

"Something's bothering you."

"Ya, it's you looking at me like that."

I lean my head back and close my eyes again. Hoping he'll drop it, but knowing that's likely not going to happen.

"Everly."

"Dylan."

"Everly Grace."

He's sounding more serious now, but I'm still trying to see if he'll budge.

"Dylan Michael."

"You know I'm not going to drop this."

"I don't know what you think you saw, but I didn't do anything. I was just sitting here minding my own business."

I keep my tone soft and light. He doesn't say anything and just sits there. I keep my eyes closed and wait him out. He may be stubborn, but so am I.

"Did I do something?"

"You saw something that's not there."

"Did you do something?"

"According to you I did."

"Somethings bothering you."

"Ya, you are. I'm trying to relax. You should be too. You played two games yesterday, one this morning, and then went two rounds with me."

"I'm not going anywhere until we figure this out."

"Then you're going to be sitting there forever, because there's nothing to figure out."

He doesn't say anything, and I know he is getting annoyed with me. I don't want to do this tonight. I need to process this alone.

"I told you I was enjoying my view."

"Yes, I do remember that."

"Why would that cause a reaction?"

"Can you please do your detective stuff not between my legs? You're causing me to get a hip cramp."

He reluctantly backs up and goes and sits across from me. I'm now able to stretch my legs out and relax them.

His dad walks out and comes over.