6

JOYCE

I kept looking over the maze of drawings Will had drawn. Then somebody knocked on the door.

I hurried to it and slipped outside, careful not to let the person see the mess inside.

I was surprised to see a boy I'd never seen before in front of me.

"Hello, are you Raya and Jonathan's mom?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I'm Nick, Raya's boyfriend, is she here?"

"Um, no. I'm Joyce, nice to me. You can find her at Steve, her best friend's house."

"And where is that?"

I gave him directions and he thanked me before driving off on his motorcycle.

RAYA

I groaned when I heard Steve stomping down the stairs. Billy was resting on my bare chest, his arms wrapped around my waist.

I pushed some of his hair away from his eyes and tried to move from his embrace. He groaned and tightened his grip on me.

"Wake up."

"Five more hours."

I chuckled. "No, get up."

He groaned and tightened his arms on me. "I'm gonna shower and you could come." I said as seductively as I could.

His eyes popped open. "What about, Harrington?"

"We'll be sneaky."

BILLY

I swerved into the arcade parking lot and Max began to get out, and Raya started climbing to the front.

"If you're not out in an hour-" I started.

"Walking home. Yeah, yeah, I know." Max finished.

"Hey!" I snapped, as Raya put on her seatbelt. "Watch the attitude, shitbird."

Raya closed the door and waved at Max. "Have fun."

I adjusted my sunglasses before racing off. I saw Max flip me off and really wanted to turn around and run her over.

"Billy." Raya said softly.

I didn't even look at her.

"Billy, stop the car."

I slowed to a stop and she sighed. "What's up with you?"

"Nothing." I responded.

"Was it last night-"

"No, no! Last night was fine."

"Then why are you like this?" She demanded.

"Just mind your own fucking business!" He snapped. I saw her flinch and instantly regretted yelling at her.

Before I could apologize she said, "Take of the glasses, Billy and look at me."

I sighed and looked at her. She pulled the glasses off and saw the bruise around my eye.

"Why'd he hit you, you were barely in the house?"

"It doesn't matter."

"Billy, don't push me away."

"I was ten when my mom left me and my dad. We were in California. She left me with an abusive asshole! He hit me because I cried. I was a fucking child, of course I cried. And everything became a bit better when he dated Susan because he didn't have time to punish me for every little thing."