2

RAYA

"Raya?" Jonathan demanded. He ran to me and pulled me into a hug. "Are you okay?"

"Raya?" Bob and Joyce's voice echoed from the kitchen.

"I'm fine." I argued, pulling away from all of them. I walked over to Will and ruffled his hair. "How was your appointment?"

"Fine." He responded.

"Raya!" Mom called. "Raya, honey, wait!"

"I'm fine!" I headed towards my room but Mom got their before me. "Please don't."

"What happened?"

"I just got humiliated. I guess it's karma for not going to that dumbass lab."

I passed her and entered my room. It was quite chaotic. Paint and art supplies were everywhere. Almost completed canvases sat in different spots. My bed was dark and my sketchbook sat on it.

"Raya, honey, why didn't you call me?"

"Because I didn't want you to overract!" I shouted.

"Well you were bullied, its serious. How did you get here and why so late?"

"None of your business, Mom, please just leave me alone."

Then I slammed the door and collapsed on the bed. I felt like I was going to be sick.

After taking a very long shower, I threw on some pajamas and headed to the living room where the movie Mr. Mom was playing.

I took a seat next to Jonathan and he pulls me closer to him. I rested my head on his shoulder like I always did when I was younger. It just felt nice to have a bit of normalcy.

I looked at him to see him eyeing Bob who was sitting with Mom. I knew he didn't like Bob very much.

Suddenly, the phone went off, making me jump. Actually making everyone but Bob jump. I let out a heavy breath and tried to calm my beating heart.

I tried my best to focus on the movie but I couldn't. My mind kept wandering back to last year when I had been taken. The drive down to Hawkins with my dad, Lonnie. The arguing before I ran off and got attacked by a demogorgon. And then the terrifying Upside Down.

I didn't realize my hands were trembling and tears were gathering in my eyes until Jonathan put his hand over mine.

My head snapped to him and he looked sad and worried. He was going to say some thing but I cut him off.

"I'm fine!" I snapped, standing up and practically running to my room.

And then I just did some homework and listened to a variety of music. It was sometime in the night, and I couldn't fall asleep. I had heard Will leaving his room. And then I heard rumbling. I stood up and walked from my room and spotted Will walking towards the door.

Like we were in a trance, we both stopped at the same. Suddenly the door began to creak as it was slowly opened, revealing a view of a red sky and a huge shadow of a monster.

BILLY

I sat on the hood of my car, a cigarette hanging loosely in my mouth, and my mind stuck on Raya. She had shown up to school but she was quiet and even avoided her best friend, Steve, and twin brother, Jonathan.

In our classes she had been invested in drawing something I couldn't see. And her bullies kept harassing her.

"You're late again."

"Yeah, I had to get catch up homework." She responded as she approached my car.

"Jesus! I don't care. You're late again, and you're skating home. Do you hear me?" I threw my cigarette down and got in the car.