Chapter Twenty Seven

-Jana pov-

I was furious. Absolutely furious over how Grayson and Justin were acting. Especially when Grayson knows what's going on between Justin and I. And I'm mad that Justin isn't grateful for all that I've done for him. It felt like neither of them cared about my feelings; only their egos.

I stormed around the kitchen, making eggs, bacon, and toast. Maybe some food will shut them up. But it seemed my harsh words from earlier already had. I could hear the water running and light footsteps but no talking. A good sign I guess.

I was mostly finished with breakfast, and was setting the table when I started to wonder what was taking them so long. Grayson came out first, his hair damp. He must have taken a shower. And Justin followed, wearing a clean set of clothes. I looked again, I don't remember him bringing anything. But I quickly realized that they were Grayson's clothes, he started leaving extras a couple weeks ago.

They both took a seat, waiting like nice gentlemen as I served them food and got us all glasses of juice. Once I took a seat they began to eat, keeping their eyes faced down. I almost smiled, glad that my scolding had worked.

After a few minutes Grayson cleared his throat. "Sooo...what did you want to talk to us about?"

"Glad you asked." I dabbed at the corners of my mouth with a napkin. "I want, no need you two to get along if Justin will be staying."

"What?!" Both men exclaimed at the same time.

"I need you to get along if-." I repeated.

"No, we heard you." Grayson sighed exasperatedly. "I just...what about when you said-."

I directed my words toward Justin this time, clasping my shaking hands below the table. "Never mind what I said. I've lost too many people to lose you too."

Justin gave a small grin before going back to his food. Grayson, however, seemed shocked as he ignored his plate. I laid my hand on his. "I hope you can understand."

After a few tense moments he nodded. "Yeah, yeah. I'll always support you Jana."

"Thank you."

We shared a quiet moment between us, our hands clasped together.

I turned back to Justin. "That being said, they're must be ground rules."

He hesitated, but nodded. "I understand."

"You must get clean Justin. No drugs or alcohol. Not even cigarettes. I won't allow it in my home."

With a tight nod from Justin I continued. "You must find a job and help with rent, this isn't daycare and I won't baby you." I leaned forward, forcing Justin to meet my gaze. "I want what's best for you Justin. I want my brother back." My voice broke and Grayson gave my hand a tight squeeze.

Justin sighed, leaning back in his chair as he ran his hand through his hair. "Maybe your boyfriend can help me find a job."

Grayson barked out a laugh. "You're on your own buddy, your sister is the only assistant I need."

"Wait, you work for him too?" Justin looked amused.

"That's how we met." I shifted uncomfortably, picking at my food.

"Ohhh so it's that kind of relationship!"

"What's that supposed to mean?" Grayson's tone was angry once again.

"Well you're her boss and she's the assistant, it's like one of those smutty books-."

"Shut up Justin." I pushed away from the table, my cheeks burning. "Speaking of work I have a lot to get done today and a coffee date so finish eating."

"Date with who?!" Grayson exclaimed.

I smiled, turning around at the sound of jealousy in his tone. "Emma. Can you drive me?"

-Grayson pov-

Justin and I ended up cleaning up after breakfast so that Jana could get ready for the day. We didn't speak with each other, tensions still too high. I ended up sitting at the island, looking through emails as Justin lounged on the couch.

"You should start looking for a job today," I voiced, wanting to help Jana as much as possible.

"I need to get sober first, withdrawal is a bitch."

I sighed. "Fine. At least help out around the apartment then."

"You're not my dad." Justin laughed, turning on the tv. "I can take care of myself you know."

I shook my head. "Based on how we met I know that you can't do that."

"You don't get it. Growing up poor as shit with even shitter parents. I bet your life has been perfect golden boy. Big house and a nice car..."

"I've earned my house and car through hard work. What have you done?" I spat.

"Survived." Justin sighed. "I've survived man."

We went back to silence then. Thankfully Jana came out a few minutes later, fully dressed and ready for the day. She seemed to be in a better mood as she kissed me on the cheek, fluttering past to grab her purse.

"I won't be back too late Justin, if you need to leave there's an extra key by the door. And help yourself to the refrigerator, just clean up after yourself." She looked around, hands on hips. "Do you have a phone?"

Justin shook his head. "Nah, lost it ages ago."

"Okay." Jana nodded thoughtfully. "The lady next door is sweet. Go to her if you need to call me..." She grabbed a sticky note from the counter, quickly scrawling her phone number down. "There. Behave Justin, please."

He didn't even look at her, facing the TV. "I will."

I grabbed Jana's hand. "Let's go babe." I urged, knowing it was hard for her to leave. For her to trust him after all he's done.

"Okay," Jana mumbled, allowing me to pull her out of the apartment.

She didn't speak again until we were in the car, heading to the coffee place. "I'm praying he doesn't steal from me again...I don't think I could handle that betrayal again."

"If he does I'll hunt him down," I muttered. "I'm going to be right here beside you babe...I'm not leaving."