chapter thirteen

-Jana pov-

My plan to ignore Grayson turned out to be much easier than anticipated. Considering he wouldn't even look at me, I could also act like he didn't exist.

Ethan and Dave noticed the tension but both opted to not make any comments. Which I appreciated since I didn't even know what happened. Much less what to tell them.

So, while Grayson moped around and got out of work, Ethan, Dave, and I worked on the new video. Ethan had confided in us that he he was sick of Grayson's attitude and wanted to prank him.

So we enlisted the help of James, Emma, and a special effects makeup artist. Ethan would be disgusted and would pretend to sneak into the twins backyard, which was virtually impossible.

Now, I was with Ethan at his life casting appointment to get his prosthetics made. Ethan had also taught me how to use to most simple camera, so I was videoing the process as he was covered in green "goop" followed by the plaster.

At one point he had his shirt off and I made a mental note about how differently built him and Grayson were. Ethan was a much leaner build while Grayson had more muscle. I shook my head, I shouldn't even the thinking that.

It wasn't long before Ethan and I were heading back to the house, planning the rest of the week. We also made sure to get our stories straight incase Grayson became suspicious.

Once we got back to the house Ethan got a phone call, shooing me off to go into his room. It was Dave's day off so I decided to take a seat at the dining room table, spreading out as I finished my work for the day.

I was on a roll, humming along to the music flowing through my headphones as I smoothly got all the scheduling, emails, and collected data from the most recent videos. I was just finishing up when a hand landed on my shoulder.

I yelped, jumping out of my seat. I pulled my headphones off as I turned to face Grayson. "God! You scared me, you jerk!"

He chuckled. "Sorry, I was just-." His mask went back up. "It's late, I'll take you home."

"Oh." I glanced at the time. "I usually stay longer, I wanted to clean up the filming room..."

"Let me take you to dinner Jana, make it up to you for the other night." And just like that his mask was back down.

"What?" I froze. "You want to take me out to dinner?"

"Yeah." He leaned against the wall, a cocky grin on his face. "Your pick."

I scoffed, closing my laptop and collecting the random papers I had scattered around. "So you flirt with me? Which leads to us making out on top of a parking garage. Just for you flip a switch and act like I didn't exist for over a week." I turned to make him. "And now you want to take me out for dinner!? What am I to you Grayson? A game?!"

"No, no Jana, that's not-."

I packed my things in my bag, swinging it over my shoulder. "I don't want to be that person who waits until you need a distraction."

I started walking away, but as always he grabbed my wrist, pulling me into himself. "You said you wanted a distraction." He muttered, his hazel eyes searching mine.

"Maybe I didn't mean it." I choked out, pulling my hand out of his grasp and storming away. "Ethan!" I called. "Can you take me home?"

*a couple days later*

Thankfully Ethan had set up a tripod so I was able to sit back and watch him be transformed into a new person. I had to keep holding in my laughter as he played around with his neck, chin, and nose prosthetics.

Soon he was dressed in full costume completed with hideous greasy wig. I filmed as Emma walked in, exaggerating her response to his new look. Once the camera was off they officially greeted each other, with a warm hug.

I pretended to be busy, feeling like I was intruding on a personal moment.

The three of us first went to get the coffee Grayson would pick up at their door before we drove to the twin's house. Ethan made us get out of the car so Emma and I sat on the curb, in rather awkward silence.

"Sooo..." She spoke up. "How is it working for the twins?"

"Good, I'm so thankful Dave got me the job."

"Where were you working before?"

"Retail, a couple of part time jobs when I needed them."

"You must have worked hard to live on your own in LA."

I chuckled. "Yeah, yeah you could say that."

Emma looked slightly thoughtful as she opened her mouth to speak again. "Does Ethan-?"

But her words were cut off by the sound of a approaching car. Ethan jumped out, a big smile on his face. "Success! He didn't say a word."

Emma and I both jumped up. "It worked!!" I squealed, it's so reliving when days of work pulls off.

"Okay, okay. Get back in the car it's not completely over yet."

Now Emma and I sat in her car as Ethan sneaked into the boy's backyard. She called Grayson, using a pre-videoed voice mail, to throw him off the scent and we spent the next ten minutes laughing about the prank and Ethan's scary disguise.

I could see myself becoming friends with her.

Shortly after Ethan called us back to the house to film the outro. I helped but Emma had to leave, mentioning her and I should get coffee soon.

After filming was over and I helped Ethan rip his prosthetics off (with only minimum wiggling and screaming) I started piecing together the footage, another skill that Dave was teaching me.

I was sitting in Dave's dark office, my blue light glasses on and headphones on once again. I ignored the door opening, figuring it was just Dave coming to check on me. I could feel the footsteps go around the desk and take a heavy seat in the office chair.

I finally lifted my head, sighing softly. "Yes?"

Grayson leaned forward, interlacing his fingers. "Jana, can we talk?"