chapter one

-Jana pov-

"Hello! Need help finding anything?" I smiled brightly at the woman and her daughter, setting down the shirt I was holding.

The woman grimaced tightly, annoyance twisted in her features. "No thank you." She walked off, pulling her daughter behind her.

I waited till she disappeared around the corner before releasing a sigh, going back to folding shirts. Sometimes you just can't please people, no matter what you do. I had started working at Angela's Clothing Boutique when I was a junior in high school and three years later I'm still here. When I graduated last year I had hoped to go into college and pursue fashion but life had got into the way. Now I live in a small apartment in downtown LA that I use almost all of my paycheck to rent. But at least it's mine.

I finished my shift in silence, getting all of my work done. I said goodbye to my coworkers before clocking out, putting my AirPods in, and leaving. I couldn't afford a car and it was nice outside so I had decided to walk instead of talking a bus. I drifted off into my music, matching my steps to the beat. Soon I had arrived at my complex. I got my mail and unlocked the front door, mentally preparing myself for the long walk up to my unit. I had only gotten a few feet up the stairs when my name was called.

"Jana!"

I turned, pulling my AirPod out of my ear. My landlord, Phil, stood at the bottom of the stairs, holding a white envelope. My heart sunk. "Oh...is my rent due already?"

Phil shook his head. "No, it's a new contract." He winced. "I have to raise your rent Jana, my wife is sick. We have bills to pay."

I smiled softly, reaching down to take the envelope. "It's okay Phil, I understand. I'll get this to you as soon as I can."

He nodded. "Thanks Jana for being so understanding."

"Of course, have a good night."

"Good night."

I practically ran up to my unit, craving pjs and ice cream in front of a shitty rom com. Once I got inside I hung up my bag, kicking off my shoes. I went to grab something to eat but decided to be responsible. I opened the envelope.

My rent had raised 500 dollars.

I groaned, throwing my head back. "I need a better job."

*a week later*

"So you're working at a Laundromat during the night? Doesn't that sound a little dangerous?"

I chuckled. "It's fine, I won't be alone."

"Didn't you just say your coworker is a creep?" My best friend Stella asked, twirling her fork in the air.

I paused. "Yes, but I need the money."

"What about sleep? You also need sleep!" Stella argued.

"And get kicked out of my apartment? So I can sleep on the streets?"

"You could come stay with me!"

"In your dorm? How about no." I set my own fork down, taking a deep breath. "It's just a transition period Stell, I promise."

She opened her mouth but quickly closed it. "Fine, I just worry..." A thought crossed her face. "Come out with me tomorrow night, before you're so swallowed in work that I can't ever see you."

"I don't know..."

"I'll pay!"

I held my hand out to shake hers. "You're on."