chapter two

-Jana pov-

"I'm not sure Stell...maybe I should stick with the red dress." I stood in front of my full length mirror wearing a short dark green dress. It enhanced my curves and had a low front with an even lower back. Stella had also outfitted me in tall heels and lots of gold jewelry. I finished off the look by curling my long brown hair and doing my makeup, giving myself a dark smokey eye.

Her jaw dropped as she held a mascara wand away form her face. "You're joking! You look hot as hell, that red dress would wash you out. The green brings out your dark eyes."

"I guess you're right, it's just short."

"Girl, you have a butt! Flaunt it!"

I laughed at Stella's words, the tension leaving my body. "Okay, okay. It's only one night..."

"Exactly." She finished doing her lipstick. "Ready to head out?"

I smoothed down my dress one last time. "Yes, I'm ready."

Stella drove us to the club, parking a few streets down. It was club we had been to before in high school, bearing fake ids of course. And we still are. We walked to the building, getting in the line and flashing our ids to get in. The atmosphere was booming, the floor filled with dancing bodies. Stella dragged us over to the bar, ordering some shots to "get us hype".

We both downed the shots, the buzz immediately shooting through me. I shook my head, fighting off the burning. Stella laughed, already pulling us toward the dance floor. We jumped along to the music, singing at the top of our lungs.

Eventually we grew tired and decided to have a bathroom break. As usual, we met the most awesome girls in the bathroom and spent at least half and hour talking to them about cheater ex boyfriends and the best way to put bandaids on sore ankles.

We stumbled out of the restroom and found some couches to sit on, ignoring a trio that sat on the other end. Stella mumbled at me to "not get kidnapped" as she went to get more drinks. I leaned back on the couch, a loose smile on my face.

"Having a good time?" A voice asked.

I looked over, one of the members from the trio was speaking. He was older than me, at least in his mid-twenties. He had dirty blond hair that was messily styled. He wore a dark blue button down and an expensive watch to match the multiple gold chains around his neck. He held a glass of whisky in his hand. I gathered that although he looks harmless and a little clueless, he also seems confident and laidback, and considering the nice clothes and jewelry, rich.

"Yeah, yeah. This is kinda like my last night before life has to get serious." I spilled, instantly regretting my loose lips.

He laughed, a warm laugh to match his warm smile. "Ah, I remember those days. Are you starting school?"

I shook my head. "No, I wish. But my rent raised and I need to find a new job."

He looked at me curiously. "Really? Where have you been looking?"

"Anywhere...I don't have a college degree so it's hard to get jobs that pay higher than minimum wage."

The man suddenly held out his hand. "I'm Dave, and I might be able to help you."

I was a little hesitant, considering I just met the man but I shook his hand anyway. "Jana, and if I may ask, why are you talking to me?"

Dave chuckled, nodding at the people sitting behind him, he mumbled, "If you didn't notice I'm third wheeling tonight. And you looked like a nice girl who needed someone to talk to."

Sure enough behind him were a girl and guy making out, their hands all over each other. I laughed, slightly uncomfortable. "Oh, well what did you mean about helping me?"

"See I'm a manger for a content creator duo, and I've been looking for an assistant. But, to be honest...my bosses are very difficult to work with." Dave chuckled, taking a sip of his drink. "At this point I'm desperate to find someone they like..." He smiled, his warm brown eyes meeting mine. "I think they would like you. And it would pay much higher than minimum wage."

I couldn't find the words to speak. "Are you offering me a job?"

Dave nodded. "Yup! I must have drank too much. Are you free tomorrow?"

I felt my eyes widen, this can't be real. "Not really? But I am between four and nine."

He grinned, pulling his phone out. "Perfect! I'll send you an Uber to bring you to the house and you can meet the guys..." It seemed he was thinking out loud, tapping the screen as he did so.

"Wait, wait!" I said, a bit panicked. "This is all moving a bit fast! I don't even know you!"

Dave laughed, handing his phone to me. An open contact was on the page. "I know, but I'm hoping you can trust me. My name is Dave Wells, look it up. I work for a reputable management company. And I'm hoping you will too."

I hesitated, but entered my information. "You better not be scamming me Dave Wells, getting my hopes up."

He shook his head. "I have a feeling we're going to be good friends Jana." He tapped his screen once I handed it back to him, my phone buzzing in response. "Text me your address so I can send the Uber and we'll go from there."

"Okay..." I felt a little shocked, and very much like I was being naive, but honesty? What did I have to loose? I opened my mouth to ask questions about the creators he managed but suddenly my arm was being grabbed.

"We have to go!" Stella hissed.

"What? Why?"

"I may have just ran into 'he who shall not be named' with his tongue already down another girls throat!" Stella said, her eyes misty as she spoke about her ex boyfriend.

"Okay, okay. We can go." I turned around to face Dave. "I have to go."

He nodded, a slightly smirk on his kind face. "No worries. See you tomorrow at five?"

"Yup, I'll be there."

Stella practically dragged us out of the club, her mouth running a hundred miles a minute as recalled her bump in with her ex as well as asked about what "see you tomorrow" meant. It took me the whole car ride home to convince her I hadn't found a sugar daddy. No, I may have found something better. A stable job.