Chapter Twenty Six

-Jana pov-

He came. He didn't call, leave a voicemail, or text. He drove to my apartment in the middle of the night; just to see me. I could melt.

Grayson took a seat on the couch and I got us some water. He made himself comfortable as I handed him a glass, and he took a long drink. I sat next to him, unsure of how close I should be. He automatically shifted closer to me, his arm falling around my shoulders.

"So..." He started, glancing around my apartment. I had only flicked on one light, shadows encasing most of the room. "Where is he?"

I swallowed. "I locked him in the bathroom."

"What?!" Grayson spat out, craning his neck to see the chair stuck under the doorknob.

"He stole shit from me last time." I sighed.

"Last time? How many times-?"

I shushed Grayson. "Please, let me explain, Gray. Before you start making assumptions."

"Yeah, yeah okay."

I closed my eyes, allowing myself a few moments to compose myself before I started talking. "I grew up pretty poor, my parents could never hold down jobs. Justin is two years older than me, so he was kinda my parent. But he changed once he reached high school..." I paused. "He later introduced me to drugs and alcohol. For a while it was fun, numbed us from the fact that our lives were shit. But thankfully I had people around me to snap me back to reality...he didn't." I finally got the courage to meet Grayson's gaze, surprised by how calm he seemed. "For a while I did all I could to help him but eventually it was too draining. This is the first time I've seen him in almost a year."

I ended my story there, plenty of room for questions but I also didn't add too many details; details that are hard to talk about.

Grayson turned away, using his free hand to stroke his jaw. "Thanks for being honest with me." He finally spoke.

I didn't answer, feeling the wall that started to build up between us.

"I'm just...worried Jana, worried that he'll hurt you. It sounds like he's a bad influence on you babe!"

I turned away from his sharp look. "I know, I told him only one night."

"Well one night could turn into two and then-."

"Why did you come here Gray? To criticize me for my life choices? I can hold my own, you don't have to always protect me!" I had pulled out from under his arm, breathing deeply.

Grayson swallowed, a strange look in his eyes. "Yeah, yeah you're right." He agreed hoarsely. "Let's not argue anymore okay? I came to spend time with you."

"Okay." I settled back next to him, both of us curling into each other.

He grabbed the remote, turning my tv on. I could barely pay attention to the movie that played, my focus on the twirling thoughts in my head. I was scared. Scared of losing Grayson. Scared of what was going to happen to Justin if he continued down this path. Scared of what my life could be without either of them.

-Grayson pov-

She fell asleep rather quickly, I could tell by the way her breathing changed. I continued watching the tv show I had turned on, my fingers running up and down her back.

I was surprised she had told me so much. I could tell there was much more to the story but it's a start. I had expected the parts about her parents, and even the drugs; but it still hurt to hear. I don't want to picture my beautiful Jana in any situation where she's not happy or safe.

I looked down, finding myself smiling at the sight of her innocent sleeping face. Her lips formed a small circle and her eyebrows always scrunched together when she breathed in. Simply beautiful.

I moved slowly, first turning the tv off and then standing up. Jana shifted in her sleep as I reached under her, picking her up bridal-style. I carried her to the bedroom, laying her gently on top. I pulled the blankets up around her body, tucking her in. I kissed her on the forehead before walking around the bed to get in beside her. I got under the covers, pulling Jana's sleeping body into mine. I fell asleep rather quickly, listening to the soft sound of her breathing.

Loud banging startled me awake. "Hey! Hey let me out already!"

I sat up in bed, my whole body tense. "What the..."

Jana was startled awake next to me, only pausing few a second before she flew out of bed and across the room.

"Wait! Jana wait!" I rushed after her, imaging her running straight into a murder who broke into her apartment.

But she was too quick and I watched from her bedroom doorway as she pulled the chair out from under the bathroom door knob and the door flung open. Jana's brother came storming through, and angry glare on his face.

"What the hell Jana? I've been calling for you for hours!"

She rolled her eyes, taking a step close to me. "I was sleeping."

Justin chuckled, waving toward me. "Sleeping? Yeah, I'm sure you got a lot of sleeping done."

I pushed past Jana, my hands fisted. "Hey, watch your mouth man."

"Oh, yeah?" Although he was a few inches shorter than me he got into my face, his eyes bloodshot. "And what are you going to do about it if I don't?"

"Do you want me to show you?" I snarled.

Jana suddenly came between us, pushing us both away from each other. "Knock it off you two! It's not worth it." She directed her last words toward me, with a pointed glare.

I backed off, holding my hands up. "Fine."

Justin shook his head. "Unbelievable."

Jana stalked off to the kitchen. "Both of you clean yourselves up. I'm making breakfast." She turned around. "The three of us need to talk."