chapter fourteen

-Jana pov-

I shook my head, looking back to my laptop. "I don't know? Can we without suddenly changing our attitudes and stomping off?"

"Come on, don't be like that."

I ignored him, noticing that the door was closed, which pissed me off. "Are you trying to corner me in here?"

"Nah, I just want to talk."

I scoffed. "Oh my god. Leave me alone Grayson, every other time that I tried to talk to you, you shut me out."

He didn't respond for a few moments. "I'll wait till you finish your work."

"Whatever." I rolled my eyes, but didn't fail to notice as he got comfortable, pulling his phone out.

I made sure to take as long as I could, purposefully only typing with one finger and going in practically slow motion as I moved my mouse. He, on the other hand, was completely silent. It actually was making me mad since he didn't make one comment about how annoying my typing and random huffing was. I wanted him to get so annoyed that he would leave on his own accord.

Eventually I gave in and closed my laptop, crossed my arms and leaned back in my chair. "You have five minutes."

Grayson took his time, looking on his phone for a couple of seconds before he stuffed it into his pocket and crossed his own arms. He smoothly licked his lips, eyeing me. "I might need more than five minutes."

I hated the hold the had over me, the way my cheeks flushed and my limbs turned to jello, how my lips remembered his. I calmed myself, hoping he didn't notice the way my breathing had hitched. "I'm waiting."

"Fine." He huffed. "Look, every other girl I've been with has only been around because she wants my money, or fame, or, fuck, even my designer clothes. And I just..." He lowered his voice, clearly having a hard time opening up to me. "That's why you're here isn't it? You have to get on my good side or I can fire you."

I sunk back into myself, not liking the tone of his voice. Is he implying what I think he is? 

"How can I trust you if it feels like every time you're looking at me like that it's because you're expecting some extra on your paycheck!?" He spat, his eyes gaining a dangerous glint. 

"I'm not a prostitute Grayson."

"That's not–fuck! Stop twisting my words!"

I pushed out of my chair, standing up. "But that's what you're saying, isn't it? Am I wrong?!"

"I–." He groaned, pulling at the edges of his hair. 

I stomped around the desk, tilting my head in hopes that he would meet my angry gaze. "Answer me Grayson."

After a few moments his lifted his chin, his eyes strangely tinted pink. "Everyone leaves Jana, I have to fight for people to stay." His voice was strained. "And each time that they leave I lose part of myself."

"Gray..." I knelt in front of him, placing my hands on his knees. "I've lost many parts of myself, taken from friends and family. I promise, I'm not here to steal another piece of your heart. If anything, I'm here to heal mine, and if you need healing too I'll be here for you."

Grayson's features softened even more, his lips pressed together as his hazel eyes searched mine. "Jana..." I waited for his next words but they never came, replaced by his soft lips.

I hungrily kissed him back, my hand reaching up to hold the back of his neck. His tongue effortlessly slipped into my mouth. I relished the pressing of his lips against mine and the gentle bites from his teeth. Suddenly, he dropped his hands from my face to the backs of my thighs. He lifted me from my knelt position to a straddling position on his lap. I shifted against him, his hands flat against my back and mine around his neck. 

"Ethan left," he muttered into my mouth.

I hummed, too concentrated on the taste of his lips. "And?"

"And-?" Grayson chuckled, pulling back slightly and leaning his forehead on mine. "And we're alone princess."

"Oh, oh." I felt my heart rate quicken and blood rush to my cheeks. "Gray, I don't know if I-."

He shushed me, a soft smile already on his swollen lips. "Let's just hang out okay? Maybe kiss?"

I laughed, pecking his lips. "Yeah, yeah that sounds perfect."

I stood first, holding out my hand for Grayson to take. We first went to the kitchen to make some food. Well, I sat on the island and watched Grayson make us food. I was very good moral support, offering "helpful" comments as he boiled pasta and chopped basil to make pesto. Every few minutes or so he would get a smirk on his face before coming over to place a kiss on my lips and maybe squeeze my leg or hip. 

And each time that he walked away I noticeably felt his warmth and comfort leave. Watching him cook made me feel more at home than I had in years. It had been a long time since someone had gone so out of their way to care for me. 

He continued this theme throughout the night. First by getting me comfortable clothes, his own sweatpants and t-shirt. Then allowing me to choose the movie we watched even though I could tell he wasn't that into it, but maybe it was because his eyes we only for me. He also cleaned up and got us ice cream, already knowing my favorite flavor from the time I told Ethan, it seemed they had stocked up on mint chocolate-chip. But I felt most cared for when he offered the rub my tired shoulders. 

We ended up resting in the living room until midnight, not even talking, just enjoying each other's company. I started to fall asleep, my head falling onto his shoulder. I stayed limp as Grayson slowly stood before picking me up and carrying me to his bedroom. I held in the silly grin that wanted to plaster itself on my face as he laid me down on his bed. I felt as he pulled the blanket over me before walking away. 

I listened as he used the bathroom and brushed his teeth. A few silent moments passed and then the bed dipped, Grayson's heavy body sitting next to me. He seemed to lay down himself, almost on the edge of the bed. I relaxed my body and just as I felt myself start to drift off his strong arms wrapped around my body, pulling me into himself. I further relaxed with his warmth seeping into my bones. 

His steady breathing was lulling me into sleep but a sudden thought woke me up fully. 

Oh god. I forgot, he has a girlfriend.