chapter three

-Jana pov-

I floated through my day, my thoughts only on the job I may or may not be getting. Why did Dave offer me the job? Who were his bosses? How much would I be getting paid? What would I even be doing? So many questions circulated around and around, but no answers came.

I rushed home after work, deciding I should change before I was picked up. I had already texted Dave my address and he told me to be ready by 4:30. So I quickly changed and ate a small snack before I grabbed my purse and phone and ran down the stairs. I caught my breath as I stood outside my complex, a couple minutes early. A black car pulled up, the window rolling down.

"Are you Miss. Jana Nicolas?" The driver asked.

"Yes, you're my Uber?"

The man smiled. "Yes, I suppose so, go ahead. Hop in."

"Okay." I slid into the backseat, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "What is your name?"

"You may call me Jenson." The man answered formally, a small smirk on his face.

"Oh, alright." I folded my hands on my lap, staring out the window. I hated driving in silence but I also hated small talk so I shut my mouth and let my mind wander. Thankfully, Jenson put on some music, a station familiar enough that I was able to hum along.

Soon enough Jenson was slowing the car, coming to a full stop in front of a gated community, one of the wealthiest gated communities in all of LA.

Jenson turned around, and I was finally able to see his face. He was much older than I realized, his hair a light grey. But he had smooth smile wrinkles along his cheeks and forehead. He put good use to these wrinkles, smiling as he said. "Miss. Nicolas, this might come across as strange but I need you to promise to not take any pictures nor repeat the location of where you're about to be."

I hesitated, was I about to be kidnapped? "Why?" Seemed like a safe question to ask.

"Because the men you are about to meet want their privacy respected."

I took a deep breath, making the inward decision to trust Dave, and to trust Jenson. "Okay, I promise."

He smiled. "Thank you, much obliged." He waved at the man operating the gate who promptly let us in.

I'll admit, I ogled at the large houses, each one seeming more grand than the last. We turned down a less occupied street, trees lining each side of the road. Jenson drove to the very end where another gate stood, a house standing behind it.

Jenson got out of the car, going to manually open the gate as I scanned the house. It was a much smaller house than the others, but I could tell their was wealth inside based on the multiple sports cars in the driveway. Jenson got back in the car, driving down the short driveway before parking. He nodded at me. "Have fun, I'll be back to pick you up."

I took that as my cue to leave. "Thank you." I got out of the car, stepping away as he backed up and drove off. I almost ran after him as I walked toward the door, the dark house daunting. I held up my fist to knock but the door was opened first.

A tall man stood before me, a scowl on his face. He had dark wavy hair, swept over his forehead and gentle hazel eyes. He had sharp features, especially his jaw, a dichotomy with his plump and soft lips. He wore a dark hoodie and black shorts, phone and keys in his hand. He turned around, yelling, "Dave! Some girl is here!"

He then scowled at me again before pushing past me, getting into the bright blue sports car and speeding off. I rubbed my arm, slightly annoyed at his behavior.

"Well what did you think?"

I turned to see Dave, looking at little stressed but also smug as he spoke. "What do you mean?" I took a step closer, peering inside.

"About your new boss?"

"Wait that was him?" I froze.

Dave laughed, opening his arm to lead me inside. "One of them..."

I scoffed, walking in. "Great...how much would this pay?"