Chapter Twenty Two

-Grayson pov-

She looked absolutely beautiful. I doubt she would agree with me since we were both sweaty and smelly.

But I couldn't get over her long dark hair, pulled into a ponytail. Her brown eyes seemed to sparkle in the sunlight, a bright smile on her face. She wore a tank top with shorts, perfectly showing her assets.

I walked behind her, wary since she seemed to trip over a rock every couple of feet. We were hiking, a lousy first date in hindsight. Well, if it even was a date.

"Are we almost there?" Jana turned around, hand on hip.

"Not yet babe, only a little longer."

"I better get the waterfall I was promised."

I pecked her lips. "Why would I lie to you?"

"Good point." She smirked. "Race you to the top!"

"Wait-!" I tried to grab for her shoulder but she jumped away, racing along the cliff side.

"Careful Jana!" She didn't listen to my warning, slipping on the small rocks as she ran. "Shit," I muttered, taking after her.

"Catch me if you can!" She sang in a sing-song voice, a bright smile on her face.

I didn't have to be told twice, running after her with everything in me. But she did have a good head start on me, and always seemed to be just out of my grasp.

We ran up the trail, shoving past other hikers while screaming sorry over our shoulders. I finally caught up with her over a ridge, almost running straight into her.

She stood at the base of the waterfall, arms out spread. The mist from the crashing water created a halo-like glimmer around her. Droplets of water collected on her tan skin, giving her an ethereal and otherworldly glow.

I smoothly wrapped my arm around her shoulder. "Worth it yeah?"

Her head nuzzled my neck. "Yeah, it really is."

"Come on." I removed my arm, grabbing her hand to pull her away.

I led her around the pool, watching carefully to make sure she didn't slip on the rocks. Last thing I need is for her to spilt her head open with a mile walk back. We held hands, walking up the path beside the water fall. I had to help her up the steep cliff side a few times, but we made it to the top, finding an even better view.

From here we could see not only the waterfall, but also the whole mountain and see the brilliant blue sky.

"Wow..." She released my hand, taking a step forward. "It's beautiful."

"Yeah." I watched her out of the corner of my eye as I opened my bag, pulling a blanket out. I found a relatively shady and dry spot to lay the blanket down. "Hey, come sit, let's eat."

"Ooo yeah!" She clapped, doing a small dance as she skipped over. I removed the lunches we packed while she sat down, making sure to angle herself to watch the view before us. We are in silence, Jana still admiring the view and me admiring her.

Jana finished her sandwich, suddenly speaking up. "You know growing up I never did anything, I mean going to the grocery store was considered a special trip." She laughed. "This is...I mean it's like a vacation!"

I chuckled at the awe in her gaze. "Babe, this is like an hour from LA, barely a day trip."

She pushed my shoulder. "But really, thanks Gray."

I caught her wrist. "Of course Jana. We could do this everyday if you like."

She bit her lip. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." My hand reached up to cup her cheek, both of us leaning in. I could feel her light breath on my lips just as my phone rang.

Jana's eyes flickered, distracted.

"Just leave it," I muttered, my lips grazing hers.

"But it's ringing."

"I know-."

"Can you just turn it off?"

By now the moment was ruined but I reached behind me, tapping against the screen till it stopped ringing. I reached for her again. "Where were we?"

She licked her lips. "I don't know, where were we?"

"I think it went like this?" Our lips finally met, folding together like they were two pieces of one puzzle, meant to be together.

But a puzzle can always be broken. And my phone started ringing again. Jana completely pulled away, sighing as she turned away from me. I took this as a sign, and angrily answered the call.

"Hello?"

But the voice who answered made me forget why I was ever mad. "Gray-Grayson?"

"Hey, hey yeah I'm here." My eyes flickered over to Jana, subconsciously worried about her hearing the conversation.

A sob broke on the other side of the line. "Y-you were supposed to come today!"

My heart sunk, and I closed my eyes, rubbing at my temple with my free hand. "I'm so sorry, I forgot." Again, I glanced at Jana. It was obvious she was listening in since this was a very different conversation than I would have with Ethan or even Dave.

"I t-thought you were coming?!" She hiccuped.

"I'll be by tomorrow, I promise."

"Okay." A sigh of relief. "I love you Grayson."

I rubbed my eyes, holding back my own sigh. There she was, her panic attack over and she was back to her normal self. "Love you too. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye." She hung up first, probably going back to her puzzle or card game.

I held my phone, staring at it and wishing more than ever she had called to inform me about the new friend she made or the flower she saw on her walk. But it had to be one of those calls. I gave myself a few moments to build confidence before I finally faced Jana.

"I can explain." My voice was weak.

"No, no it's okay." She waved me off, smiling tightly but she wouldn't meet my gaze. "I mean, it's your own personal business."

"I don't want you to think I'm being shady." I reached for her hands, glad that she let me hold onto her.

"I don't Grayson. When you tell me, you tell me and that's that." She pulled her hands out of my grasp. "Now, I want to go put my tired feet into the stream."

"Okay, I'll pack up then."

She smiled, leaping up and running back down the path. I waited until she was out of sight before I moved to clean up the food, muttering to myself. "Her name is Cameron; by the way. And she's my sister."