28

After Lan Wangji heard about what happened from his brother, he immediately made his way to the hospital where Wei was staying at.

When he stood in front of the door, he hesitated to open it. Since he wasn't sure if he was allowed to be there. He looked through the glass window that was placed on the door, first he saw Jiang Cheng's back then when he opened the door, he saw Wei Wuxian lying on bed. He looked so peaceful. But when he set one foot into the room Jiang turned his head to him, the blank appearance he had on suddenly changed into an annoyed look. Lan stopped himself from going forward. Jiang Cheng got up from his seat and walked towards Lan Wangji. He brought his hands up and pushed Lan Wangji out of the room. That sudden force made him stumble back into the hall. Jiang walked out the room and softly closed the door. Then he turned to face Lan and asked why he had come. Wangji automatically frowned his eyebrows, isn't if obvious why he is here? But he just responded with, "I'm worried." That made Jiang Cheng fold his arms together, "Every time you're 'worried' my brother gets hurt. Back then and now too!" Lan turned his face away from Jiang Cheng and saw Wei's unconscious body laying on the bed. Jiang blocked the door with his body so that Lan couldn't look at his brother, "You can leave now. He doesn't need you." Lan looked away and he clenched his jaw and after a few seconds he decided to walk away. He made his way through the hospital and before he knew it, he was back home. He didn't know what to do but for some reason he felt like it was his fault that Wei ended up like this. He took his phone out from his pocket and texted him.

Are you okay?

Tell me when you're awake.

Do you want to come over?

At that same moment he got a text from his brother.

Wangji, can you come to work today? If you're feeling alright that is.

It's not like he was going to do anything special, so he agreed and started to get himself ready.

While he did another wave of guilt came over him. He didn't know why it's not like he did something wrong. But maybe it was because how it had happened, and he didn't know who to blame. So, the only one left to blame was himself, because he let Wei go home alone. He finished getting ready and headed out the door with a heavy weight on his shoulders.

He entered the bar, and it was already filled with people. His brother waved at him from the other side of the bar, he made his way over to him. "Wangji, I'm glad you came. You can stay behind the bar today and you can take a break if you want too." Lan gave him a nod and headed to the back to put his things away. When he entered the staffroom, he saw three girls standing together. He paid them no mind and took off his jacket. When he opened his locker one of the girls approached him, "S- sir?" Wangji turned his head. She seemed to be playing with the extra bit of rope from her apron. She's anxious, he thought to himself. "I don't- didn't mean to bother you, but there are people seated at table number six and- uhm- they weren't- uhm- friendly." He hung the jacket in his locker and grabbed his apron, "And?" after she heard his response, she frowned her eyebrows and turned her head to her co-workers. Wangji noticed that what he said didn't have the same meaning as he meant it. So, he asked it in a different way, "And what happened?" She turned her head back around, "Uhm, we were just bringing their drinks and one of them hit her on the butt", he pointed at one of the girls. "And then I saw that, so I asked them why they did that and then they said some gross things." Wangji let out a deep breath as he finished tying up his apron and he walked out the staffroom. He made his way over to table six, on his way there he passed his brother. "Ow Wangji, where are you going?"

He stood at the end of the table, "How is everything going gentlemen?" While they were answering him, he looked at everyone that was sitting at the table and one of them stood out. He seemed familiar to Lan. The man noticed him staring, "What are you looking at?" Before Lan responded he eyed him up and down once more, "I didn't hear an answer from you, sir. Is everything going well?" He smirked, "Everything is perfectly fine." He moved his eyes away from Wangji and saw Lan Xichen looking at him as well. He met his eyes back with Wangji, "People sure like to stare." He raised an eyebrow as he said it. Lan lowered his eyebrows, "There were a few girls serving drinks here." Someone at the table suddenly spoke, "Agh! You shouldn't believe those little girls! They always wanna make trouble!" Lan side eyes him, "They're perfectly capable adults. And we could check the cameras to see if they really wanted to 'make trouble'." The man Lan Wangji was staring at suddenly stood up and walked towards him. He let out a big sigh, "Lan Wangji can't you just let it slide, for your old classmate." As he walked closer Wangji finally remembered who the man was that was now standing in front of him. "Wen Chao." Wen chuckled, "Indeed. It's me" he waved at him "can't believe you forgot about me." He shook his head. Lan lip quivered a bit, all the memories of Wen Chao came rushing back and there weren't any pleasant memories with this spoiled brat. Wen wanted to place his hand on his shoulder, but Lan quickly swatted it away. He held his hand in the same place, "Still as quick as always." Lan raised his chin, "If you harassed any of our workers you should pay for it, Wen Chao." Wen laughed a little, "You saying my name like that makes me shake in my boots Lan." Lan Wangji took a step away from him, but Wen took a step towards him. "Please respect our boundaries mister Wen. We are not friends." Wen turned to his friends, "He's a little snappy." At that moment Lan Xichen stepped between them, "Sorry to come in between you two, but Wangji we need you at the bar." Wangji raised his eyebrows as a response before walking away. Xichen turned his attention on Wen, "Sir, I'm really sorry but I need you to leave." He handed him the bill. "Some of our employees are feeling uncomfortable around you and your group." Wen snatched the bill and threw it at one of the people that was sitting at their table. And that one immediately grabbed for his wallet to pay. Wen walked to his seat to grab his phone and walked out. The rest followed him out. Xichen let a relieved sigh out as he waited for the last person to pay.

After a few hours of work Wangji was allowed to go on a break. He headed to the staffroom and went on his phone to see if Wei Wuxian responded to him. And luckily, he did!

I'm okay. I might come over another time.

Unknowingly Lan was smiling while looking at Wei's response, but then he wiped that smile away and looked around if anyone was in the same room. But he was alone, so a little smile returned back on his face.

I can come to you as well, I don't want you to get hurt.

He expected to get an instant reply but there was nothing. He just kept staring at his phone until Xichen suddenly walked in. He raised his head and looked at his brother. "Hey Wangji." He sat next to him. Wangji put his phone away and looked a little confused at his brother. Xichen placed his hand on his little brothers back and asked, "Are you okay?" Wangji nodded, "Why wouldn't I be?" Xichen had a soft smile on his face, "Just, Wen Chao and all that." Wangji turned his face away from him, "It's fine." Xichen pulled him in a hug and leaned his chin on his head, "Are you sure?" Wangji nodded. Xichen let go off him, "You can tell me if you're upset or angry about things." Wangji nodded again. He knew he could tell everything to his brother, but it wasn't about the fact of not trusting it was more about talking. He didn't know how to put those moments into words. And before he knew it, he had a few tears running down his cheek. He only realised when Xichen wiped them away with his thumb. "Ow Wangji", Xichen had a worried look on his face. Wangji turned his head away from his brother and wiped the rest of his tears away, "It's fine, don't worry." Xichen frowned his eyebrows, "How can I not worry? I only heard this from the police and uncle, you never told me your truth." "Because there is nothing to be said about it." Xichen noticed a slight raise in his voice so he backed-off, "You can stay here, I'll take care of the bar." He got up and patted Wangji's head before he left.