Chapter 1 - A Musketeer

Hello, my dearest Reader, nice to meet you (again)! You might be wondering what we are doing right now... Let me show you around while I'm telling you this story.

We are in the 1600s era France. Yeah, I know, you probably weren't expecting to go so much back in time, but we are here now. And this is a farm, the farm of the Kang family. In the distance there are some huge windmills, and all the fields you can see in front of your eyes... well, your imagination, also belong to the Kangs. There are lots of animals here too, like cows, sheep, horses, pigs... and there's the barn where they keep all the food for these animals!

The Kangs have been living and working here since generations. The whole family lives here: grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, cousins... and they all have a good relationship with each other. They aren't rich, but they live just well from farming and that's enough for them.

The sun lights the whole area in orange color as it's about sunset time by now. As we are nearing the barn, we can see a cow in front of the entrance, chewing on some grass monotonously. She seems pretty chill. Sometimes I really want to be a cow. It must be a good life until people eat you. So the cow is chilling in front of the barn. But as we are about to reach her, suddenly...

'HUH! HAH! YAH!' Shouts were heard from the barn and all of a sudden two big haystacks rolled out from the inside of the building. This startled the poor cow and she stopped eating and instead ran away from the frightening food. But what caused all of this? Let's take a look inside, shall we?

A young boy was cartwheeling through the barn. He was pretty tall and slim and had blonde hair. He wore an old musketeer hat, a pair of boots that were pretty much worn out by now and a white shirt with dark pants. He didn't lose balance even for a second as he stood up at the end of his cartwheeling performance. He pulled out his blade (which was actually just a broomstick) and pointed it at the doll standing in front of him.

'Engarde, Monsieur Scarecrow!' he shouted. The scarecrow just looked back at him with his stupid face. Of course, judging by its looks I'd probably shit my pants if it moved. It was made out of some broomsticks, a sack filled with hay and a smaller sack for the head. It had a poorly drawn creepy face. Okay, our boy wasn't as good at drawing as he was at martial arts, but he would make a good cast for the makeup artist of Until Dawn.

The boy also gave the scarecrow one of his old hats and a wooden sword. This whole object was standing on a wheel. He made it this way so it can spin around if he hits it in the right angle. Just like how he did then.

He started hitting his sword to the scarecrow's one, then made a quick move, making the poor doll spin around several times. The boy ducked his head down so the scarecrow's sword doesn't hit him and giggled. Then suddenly the rope that held the scarecrow's hand let go and the wooden sword fell in the direction of the boy. He gasped and did a backflip, just avoiding it perfectly.

'HAH! You can't defeat me! I'm a musketeer!' he shouted and chuckled, then attacked again, knocking the sword out of the scarecrow's hand, watching as the weapon fell onto the ground. He smiled and nodded satisfied.

He continued practicing his moves for a bit more, like the backflips and the cartwheeling, while also using the sword. He looked up towards the pile of haystacks that were stacked up so they were almost at the level of the ceiling. One more try won't hurt, right? He started climbing up the haystacks while being followed by the gazes of his kitten, Miette, his father's horse, Alexander and the pigs in the barn.

He caught a rope that was hanging from the ceiling and took a deep breath. He found where he wanted to land and jumped, holding onto the rope tightly. He planned to land on a haystack but he didn't measure it right and missed it. His feet hit the ground hard and he ended up falling face first into another haystack.

'Ouch' he sat up, trying to find out which part of his body hurts the most after falling.

'You fell again?' he heard a warm female voice. He stood up.

'Next time it'll work out' he said as he stepped towards his mother. The blonde woman smiled kindly as she dusted off her son. He sometimes gave her a headache, but she loved his only son with all her heart.

'You are just as hardworking as your father was.'

'I'll become a musketeer just like him!' said the boy. The woman sighed.

'Taehyun, I understand your intentions, but you have to understand, being a musketeer is difficult and also a huge responsibility.'

'But Mom!' whined Taehyun. 'I've been dreaming about this my whole life! And I'm seventeen now and you told me that when I'm seventeen I can join the guards in Paris!'

His mother sighed and smiled.

'I know, I know. And I also know that you'll make an amazing musketeer, Tae. I'm just afraid of letting you go.' Then she reached in the pocket of her apron and took an envelope from it. It had a red seal on it. 'But I'm ready, don't worry. You're going to need this. It's a recommendation letter to Monsieur Kim Namjoon.'

'The captain of the royal guards?' gasped Taehyun taking the letter from his mother.

'He used to know your father. They were great friends. I wrote this letter so he knows who you are and will protect you. And here's some money' she added and gave a small purse to Taehyun.

'Mom, you can't give me all this money. You need this.'

'I wish I could give you more. But you'll need it more in Paris' said the woman as she gestured Tae to put the money away. 'Oh, and take your father's horse, Alexander. He was there with him during his days in Paris, it might be helpful as he knows the city well. Now let's go. You'll have a long day tomorrow' said the woman as she turned around to leave the barn.

'Thank you, Mom' whispered Taehyun as he looked at the things in his hands. He'll become a real musketeer!

.

A/N: Lol, this first chapter sucked. This was rather a prologue but whatever, I swear from now on things will happen.

By the way I'm going to add Sundays to the days when I update, because there will be two weeks in the next months when I won't be able to update at all and it would take forever to finish the book this way.

And I decided this time not to make the animals talk because Miette annoyed me to HELL in the film, so I'm sorry if you are expecting that lol. Thank you for reading, see you in the next chap!