15: Sengoku Era: Name's Uta!

Year 1408, Japan, 2 miles away from Former Kibutsuji territory

Credit: Song: Lost Sky – Where we Started

It was one of those evening that the sun was high showing it greatness but Uta with her round belly and was close to giving birth. Her belly was round and heavy making her unable to do most chores as before.

Ojou-San,” the old lady of the rice fields spoke as she handed a cup tea to the younger, “I prefer that you stay calm, after all you are close to giving birth to healthy child.”

The old lady took care of her when her husband was off to sell wood and get some charcoal from a friend that lived a hew villages away.

“I am worried,” she confessed the reason for her constant worry, “what if no one would want to deliver the child of a cursed woman.”

The old lady sighed grabbing her small hands, “you are not cursed dearie, people just wish to blame the actions of your past life. Just because your past life was destined to be with the Demon King.”

She looked away in shame avoiding the dark eyes of the older woman before saying, “If I am not cursed, then why did you name me after that woman?”

Uta hated her dead name, the name that was cursed all over the land even if not the story was changed to just a myth that who knew if someone would change it more to something else, she still hated it, she found the name disturbing and annoying.

She preferred the simple name Uta.

“It is normal to name someone that name, it is not a sin to name you. After all have you heard what the name of the one she should have married was?”

The younger woman tilled her head, “what was it?”

“Muzan, it meant ‘Miserable’, such an awful name.”

Not hearing what the woman continued to babble her mind went to that name she had meet when she was a teen around eight years before – before she had even met Yorichii.

His eyes were so kind and lonely her face was so soft even if he had some light ceases of stress between his brows. It never missed how pale he was even if it was at night.

It taught her to love her name cause some had worse than hers – he had the name of the Demon King of that myth.

But was it really a myth?

She opened her lips to say something when the Shoji door opened showing her husband. His long red hair was held up and his eyes were dark maroon. He looked relieved as he saw her okay and the old lady was there.

“Uta, Oba-San,” he spoke up lightly, “how have your day been?”

He placed the wood in the room preparing for winter that was starting soon enough and started making dinner.

“I do not wish to stay much longer,” the old lady said getting up from the floor, “The sun is soon going down and I prefer being safe.”

If it was too late to leave she could encounter a demon – and if she didn’t she could meet a wolf or bear. Either way nighttime was dangerous.

“are you sure?” Yorichii turned around his eyes blank as normally but it also was so soft.

The guest nodded, “I will come tomorrow if I can, Yorichii you are free to get some rice if you need any.” Like that she left the door and started to descend the mountain.

Uta silently sat there her mind wondering all over but then her brown eyes shifted to her husband that was cutting the vegetables in the kitchen and got up.

“where are you going?” he didn’t have to turn to know, it was something she learned when he lived with him. She knew all of him, she knew what happened and why he was there. Sadly he didn’t recognize he had the last name of a noble family.

She didn’t care much cause both were impure in some ways it made them made for each other.

Year 1400, Japan, Demon slayer Corp

The leader of the Corps was worried that about eighteen years has passed and his father not him have found the Lady of Darkness. Was she not reborn yet? Was the monk incorrect of that?

Or was she already transformed? No if she had demons would have already we walking in daytime. His lavender eyes were in the report sheet of the Pillar that now replaced the former that had reached his age.

People barely believed in that myth soon enough it would fade together with the demons, it was good but bad for them.

Mostly bad.

The current leader was at death’s door and his four year old son was the next in line. The current leader was so young – he was only eighteen – but what could he expect of that curse. He curse was not going to leave them until they kill the Demon King.

But that old monk believed that maybe the Lady of Darkness also may know of something. But who knew if she was reborn with her memories or not.

The man sighed feeling the sudden pain on his face and turned his head a bit seeing his wife. His wife was holding his four year old in her arms.

“Are you okay?” she asked her dark eyes soft and stoic as she sat down beside him and handed him his medications  for the day.

The man sighed and drank down the herbs before turning to her, “I am so surprised that in so many years no one has found that woman.”

”