02: Heian Era: First steps

Year 900, Japan, Kibutsuji Manor

Credits: Song: Billie Eilish – Everything I wanted.

The Lady of the manor was envied by many, her beauty and how she knew many instruments, she was a lady of the court making her known all over the land of Ancient Japan.

‘She is favored by the gods.’ Was what most would mutter of her, some called the child of the Fire god, some called her a goddess herself due to her kindness and how merciful she was.

Unlike her husband.

But those words were not told anymore when the words went out of her weak son that was the first born of the clan. They gossiped in the villages and cities over how unlucky she was.

‘Maybe she sinned,’ some would say other would say: ‘she may have unflavored her husband or sinned in the eyes of the Fire god.’

She was being mocked by her co-wives and the concubines of her husband. She took grate care of Muzan who was just a baby at the time. While her husband killed anyone who mistreated his bride and child.

He didn’t care if he was weak, he’d find a cure.

Some called him ‘the devil himself’ due to his eyes and personality that was cruel. He normally wore full in black that was a terrible symbol in that time period.

Even if he acted that way his first and lovable wife stayed by his side at all cost – unlike the other women he took in due to forced marriage not that he wanted too.

The woman mother of Muzan found out that the second, third and fourth wife had gotten pregnant making her worry for her son.

“Lord *****!” she bowed before him, her forehead pressed against the tatami covered flooring.

The said Lord turned to his wife and rose a brow, it was unusual for his favorite wife to bow so low before him, “is something wrong, Mika?”

Mika rose her head her eyes filled with despair, “Please let my son be your legitimate child my lord!”  she begged.

The male she spoke to looked surprised and amused for her words, for all the years he knew her she wouldn’t summit before him behind the scenes.

“this is the first time you have bowed before me, Mika,” he crouched down before her his hand gripped her chin softly, “do not fear, he shall be my heir, after all, he has my eyes.”

The woman gripped the end of his long raven haori that had red designs of a Spider Lily a flower that he planted in the back gardens to calm down, “thank you my Lord.”

His normal sharp eyes soften, “anything for my wife.”

Behind the closed shoji doors stood the fourth wife who’s eyes darken at the words that she heard, she hated the first wife since she was the Lady of the manor and she was just hidden in her shadows. Even the second and third wife had some important role and would get time to see their Lord.