•28•

"Ruby!" I yell walking through the hallway as I finally see her.

She's in a gown,

Holy fudge brownie!

She's in a gown.

The gown is blue and short,and she's in a pair of ankle All stars

She looks different,but not too different.

She finally stops and leans on a locker.

"Hey,wait," I walk up to her. "What's wrong?"

I stand in front of her,and I get a good view of her face.

She just put on some mascara and lipstick.

But she still looks beautiful.

Even more beautiful than the other girls who probably have four layers of makeup on.

"You made it," I whisper. "Thank you"

"I came here for you,I wanted to meet that dance,but I saw you with...Kelly"

"I didn't know you were coming"

"Exactly! I didn't wanna come,but I figured I had to. You sounded desperate when you called" she says.

"Well,I'm sorry. We can-we can.. go in to dance,I'm sure there'll still be one more slow dance"

She shakes her head.
"Not anymore"

"Well,at least,come into the hall. I'm sure Ace,Dante and Kelly will be psyched to see you"

"Can I just stay here? For a while? You know I'm not really good at these parties. I might throw up from too much touching" she says and walks to the nearby staircase and sits on a stair.

"Yeah, that's fine"

"And,I just realized something," she whispers.

"What's that?" I ask with a smile.

"I don't think you wanna know"

"I do" I reply

"I think I like you,Jason. It's stupid and I've been trying to fight it,but it comes back stronger,and I always feel this pang in my chest when I see you with a different girl. I know that sounds possessive,but if you're not gonna be here in a few weeks,then I think it's better to tell you how I feel. I figured we're not a good match because we're polar opposites. I have issues and you're..bubbly with a family that loves you," she exhales. "And I've just grown fond of that smile"

I can only stare at her.

I've been seeing her in my dreams for weeks, almost months.

Finally!

I didn't give up on her,I didn't and she finally likes me.

"Jason, it's okay to not-"

I stop her by placing my lips on here.

Our lips move in sync,and I pull away after a few more seconds

At least,that should stop her from thinking otherwise.

"I like you too,Ruby" I smile at her and she chuckles.

She lets out a sigh.
"You're leaving for college soon,and I somehow find this the appropriate time to tell you how I feel," she sighs. "I'm sorry it's coming now,I just-"

"It's okay. We'll figure something out" I smile at her and stretch out my hand.

She places her lean,yet fragile hand in mine,and we walk back to the hall.

I can feel her tense up beside me,and I try to reduce that by placing a hand on her waist.

Ace's eyes nearly pop out if their sockets when he sees us.

"Took y'all long enough" Dante beats him at talking.

"I know right! You look so cute" Ace says with nearly red eyes.

Someone's been drinking.

"C'mon guys! Let's go take a picture outside!" Kelly says simultaneously swaying her hips to the song.

I chuckle as we all walk outside.

There's a red carpet outside the hall where a photographer is already awaiting.

We initially take a funky group photo.

Then we take a serious one

Ace and Kelly take one together (doesn't mean they're dating. Kelly is still with Derek)

Dante and Trish also take a very cute photo together and then....

Ruby and I.

We take a photo where Ruby finally smiles in.

We all take a copy each.

And when I look at my copy, Ruby's teeth are finally obvious in one of her smiles.

She's finally smiling.

A legit smile.

We all walk back into the hall,and I have some champagne.

Now,I seem to have loosened up now that Ruby is here.

I can see her swaying her hips slowly to the music,and that makes me chuckle

"Stop staring at me, dreamer" she says and I chuckle

Oh,I remember her nickname for me!.

Thanks for reading guys.

Haha,two more chapters,

I hope :)

Love :Melanin3000💜💙