Chapter 37.) Eventide

"Geppy, I said I was sorry!"

"Hurry up and sign the divorce papers, Halo."

"... But this is a coupon book for Costco?"

Skeppy was struggling to stay resilient, but as Bad's confused pleads maimed his chest with its ebony claws, he found his willpower crumbling to dust... like Peter Parker!

"I didn't want to do this, but you betrayed me. Our love, our future, our son's future – you threw all of it away, and for what?"

Skeppy met Bad's reddened face and glimmering eyes. It was a sight that threatened his composure. He wouldn't let it, he told himself while stuffing his hands in his pockets, he wouldn't let Bad's cuteness deter him.

"Fried shrimp," Bad mumbled, softly. The corners of his mouth quivered, and Skeppy sunk his teeth into his bottom lip to hide his smile.

"You ate all the friend shrimp," Skeppy sighed and looked away. "I had too much faith in you, bug."

"To be fair, I held too much faith in you when I let you cook for my mom. Funny how we joked about you burning yourself again and you actually did," came Bad's smug reply.

"And you had the audacity to laugh."

"I laughed after I made sure you were okay, like a good boyfriend!" Bad giggled and pushed aside the coupon book. It was rather unusual why Skeppy even owned a coupon book, not that he needed them nor did he even shop at Costco. Hell, he couldn't even remember how he attained the book in the first place.

The flimsy paper made good homemade divorce paperwork, though.

Skeppy rolled his eyes and leaned over the counter they were seated at.

He was bored, dangerously bored to the point of spewing nonsense left and right, and with their argument no longer an entertaining distraction, he felt agitation prickle along his skin. "We should do something. Like, in the city," he suggested after a beat of silence.

"You can go do something in the city. I'm a little busy being a sad newly-divorced," said Bad as he wiped away a fictitious tear.

Whining, Skeppy moved to wrap his arms around the demon. "Baaad! I didn't mean it and even if I did, you didn't sign the papers so you're stuck with me by law!"

"I– I am not signing a coupon book! It's such a waste."

"You're right, divorcing me would be a waste. I'm totally good husband material," Skeppy laughed and brushed imaginary locks of hair over his shoulder.

Bad gave him a funny look, then deadpanned, "I'd be a better husband than you."

"Nuh-uh!"

"Yuh-huh!"

"Are you challenging me?" Skeppy gasped, jerking away from their embrace and jabbing an index finger into Bad's chest. "You're challenging me, aren't you? You little shit."

"Language! And no, I am not challenging you. I'm making an astute observation"

"What's wrong, Baddie? Don't think you could beat me? You too afraid to marry me and prove me wrong? Coward, you absolute coward," Skeppy taunted, his hand trailing up Bad's chest and settling on his neck. The demon shuddered at the touch but otherwise didn't display any sort of discomfort, so when a pretty shade of red flooded Bad's face, he smirked and pressed firm kisses along his jawline.

The surprised squeaks followed by content hums acted as music to Skeppy's ears, and with his hands finding purchase on Bad's shoulders, he breathed, "Do it, Bad. Prove me wrong."