27. Monte Alban Mezcal

Frustrated.

Aggravated.

Exasperated.

Irate.

All great synonyms for the welling feeling inside of Jaiden.

He hated this fucking case.

All he wanted to do was focus on the job on hand, but his mind kept drifting to his old case. Evidence kept hinting at his old case.

His mind was a mess, and the paperwork was becoming worse. The words started to blur and twist in front of him, and all he wanted to do was punch something. Make the bullshit stop.

But he was sitting on top of three horrific murders and a name that haunted him.

He was also perturbed by Sierra's words about how some men deserved to die. As someone who has already sat as judge and executioner before, he knew it was easier said than done. But someone out there who does not feel the same weight, guilt, and torment that he feels.

And his gut was telling him that this was some 'mission' or 'crusade' for justice. This killer saw his murders as art... and their subtle messages were like a game. A game Jaiden feared he was losing at the moment.

He gave a weary sigh, aware that he needed to get out of his own here. He was tried and fried. His head started to throb, which was always a bad sign. He ripped open a drawer, pulled the painkillers out, popped a couple in his mouth, and swallowed them down with the cold coffee on his desk.

He wanted to ask Toni to leave because he could no longer be productive. He was only going to get increasingly... vexed—another suitable synonym.

Jaden tossed the file on the desk and was just about to ask Toni to head out when the precinct erupted with happy greetings.

"Yo, X! It's been forever!" Someone close to them shouted.

Jaiden sighed from the boisterous noise and rolled his eyes. He didn't bother looking at the people around but noticed Toni's expression. Toni was tense, and his discomfort was palpable. He rolled his shoulder as if he was feeling pain.

"Toni, baby." A sickeningly sweet voice came up next to Jaiden.

Jaiden looked up and saw a slim man with a pretty face and brown immaculately styled hair. The way he looked at Toni was like he wanted to devour him.

"I missed you in Colorado." He said again, completely ignoring Jaiden. He seemed to want Toni to greet him with a hug. His arms were wide open, but Toni didn't stand up and picked up another folder to look through.

"What are you doing here?" He asked, a little stiffer than usual.

"Just visiting some family. I heard you were working a big case." His arms fell to the side but seemed to accept Toni's standoffish attitude. He sat down on the desk between Toni and Jaiden.

"I am. I'm busy." Toni was uncharacteristically gruff, which surprised Jaiden.

"Too busy for me?"

The sickening sweet tone of the man's voice already set Jaiden on edge, but the flirtatious whining truly irked him. How can someone whine and flirt simultaneously and keep a straight face?

Jaiden gave the man an annoyed look, which did not go unnoticed. The man clicked his tongue with annoyance and turned his attention back to Toni.

However, Toni was not pleased and tossed the file on the desk roughly. "What are you doing here?"

"To visit my family, baby."

Jaiden's jaw clenched, and he tried to focus on the paperwork in his hands. However, the familiarity between Toni and this man was pushing him over the edge. Why was he calling Toni 'baby'?