36. Fireball Whisky

Jaiden and Toni waited at their desks while the other detectives and officers gave them space, afraid to come too close after Jaiden's outburst. He had the box with the images sitting on his desk. He couldn't bring himself to acknowledge it again for now.

He bounced his leg while waiting for the results while Toni was flipping through some of the files. Jaiden groaned.  His arm was killing him, and he wanted a cigarette. However, he didn't want to leave because he needed to confirm the results.

The tech running the fingerprint practically ran into the room with a white face. Jaiden and Toni stood up, anticipating the answer.

"I... I don't know how to tell you... but we got a match. Its for a Terrance Chavez in Las Cruces." He said, and the officers let out a cheer, not knowing the circumstance.

Jaiden sighed. "The man who died two years, right?"

The room became still when the tech nodded. "Two years ago today... He killed a detective in Las Cruces and then engaged in a shootout with the second detective on the scene.  He died due to a bullet clipping his carotid artery."

There was some grumbling from the office. They hated knowing a bastard took down a fellow member of law enforcement but also hated that the case hit yet another wall.

An older detective sighed a little. "Tough break, guys. But maybe you can talk to the detective involved in the shootout. They may have some info about this guy."

Jaiden shook his head. "No need." 

He bit his lip, trying to contain his nerves.  It was time to call in a favor.  He pulled Toni into another room and dialed an old number after placing it on speakerphone.

"Well, I'll be damned." An older gentleman picked up the phone.  "Jaiden fucking Ryder is giving this old man a call."

Jaiden chuckled.  "Hey, Chief Joel."

Toni raised an eyebrow, recognizing the name.  He was a highly decorated Chief of Police in Las Cruces. 

"I heard you got hurt.  Healing alright?"  He asked Jaiden.

"The best that I can.  Valeria and the gang came up, so you know I'm in good hands."

Joel gave an appreciative grunt.  "You know, you should just come back down here.  I have a position waiting for you if you do."

He laughed a little and shook his head. "I appreciate the offer, Chief, but I like where I'm at now."

Joel sighed.  "So you're calling for business?"

"I am.  I have to call in a favor, but trust me when I say that I'm not jumping off the deep end." Jaiden said, trying to keep him amicable.  "Something came up with the case we're working on, and I hope you can send over the files for the Chavez and Garcia foster children."

Joel saw the result of Jaiden losing Carlos as well, so he was always worried about Jaiden.  He let out a deep breath and muttered, "Vete a la chingada..."

"Chief..." Jaiden called out cautiously. 

"Please tell me you are not looking into those murders again.  Not today." He said, his voice was stern.

Jaiden's jaw clenched. "I understand how it sounds, especially today of all days."

"I know where this road leads, and it's not healthy, Jaiden."  His voice was softer. 

Jaiden smiled warmly.  Now that he was finally stepping out of his shell, he found more and more people who genuinely cared for him. "You sound like Nate, which may not be a good thing, Joel. But trust me, it's not like before. My partner and I found a link, and we need to explore all options."