13. Pinot Noir

After things had calmed down with Tracy and Brandon walking out, Patricia decided she would like to take a bath and relax, while Jaiden went to his room to pack a few more things. This left Nate and Toni alone.

Nate looked Toni up and down. "You two seem cozy. I'm assuming you talked it through."

Toni was surprised and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, we've talk about several things."

Nate sighed. "Anything about a relationship?"

Toni's brow creased for a moment. "Nothing really like that."

Nate groaned a little. "Of course not. Silent, brooding idiot."

"A murder, kind of got in the way of discussing a relationship. Priorities." Toni said defending Jaiden.

Nate froze and then laughed a little. "Damn, you guys are similar. Work has always been first in his life. Once he gets a case, he puts his dick away."

Toni coughed a little. "That's not... technically true."

Nate's face broke out in a mischievous grin. "Holy shit. You must be good."

Toni frowned. "Now I understand some of Jaiden's comments about you. Too talkative for your own good."

Nate snorted. "Calm down Tarzan. It means that you're special. In all the years that I have known him, he would never get involved with anyone while working a case. It breaks his rules."

"Boring ass rules." Toni muttered.

Nate gave him a sad smile. "I agree, but you can't blame the guy with the shit he's been through. He's scared to jump into anything serious and open himself up. He built all those damn walls for a reason. It gives him a sense of control over his heart.  But you've done something to him. He immediately regretted leaving you high and dry the other day. If his family didn't invade our home, he would have been back at your place within the hour."

Toni raised an eyebrow with curiosity. But when Nate opened his mouth to speak but Toni shook his head. "Everyone has their painful past and reasons why they guard themselves. I'll trust that he'll tell me about it one day."

Nate sighed. "He deserves a chance for happiness. He's been-"

"Nate." Jaiden's voice interrupted him, but it wasn't harsh.

Nate jumped a little and looked embarrassed.

Jaiden had a bag slung over his shoulder. "We should head out now." He told Toni.

Toni nodded and patted Nate on the shoulder before he headed out.

Jaiden lingered next to Nate as Toni walked out. "Thank you. You're a friend, but I want to make the effort and talk it through with him. I think he may be worth the risk."

Nate grinned. "You better not fuck it up."

Jaiden laughed as he headed out the door. "That's a little hard for me. I have a habit of fucking things up."

Jaiden jogged to catch up to Toni who was already a little down the hall. Jaiden gave him a tight smile. He overheard a little of the conversation and appreciated how Toni wanted to know the truth from him. It was a small thing but meant a lot.

Toni reached out and ran his fingers through Jaiden's hair and smiled. "Shall we start our day?"

Jaiden laughed. "Another day of coffee and murder. Sounds like a date."

Toni had moved his items to the empty desk next to Jaiden so they could be closer in the office. Jaiden had watched him work and was surprised that the flirtatious man was extremely serious when it came to the job. It made him feel a little better, having a clear line between work and... whatever they were.