26. Club Soda

Jaiden sat on a couch in the club's backroom while Toni was perched on the armrest. Jaiden was a little impatient with the little man fumbling around at his desk, but he remained quiet because the intense look Toni was giving the man was enough to threaten a heart attack.

"I promise, I have tried every means to get ahold of Marcos, but he just disappeared on us.  He gave his two weeks two months ago, and his number has been cut off."  The club owner said with a nervous sweat dripping from his bald head.

Toni's jaw clenched a little.  "How long did he work with you?"

The club owner shrugged a little.  "A year and a half, maybe two years."

"Anything seemed strange about him?"

The club owner shook his head.  "Besides him stealing Steve Jobs' fashion sense? No. Honestly, he was good at what he did.  He was friendly, fast, and on top of his game. It hurt when he left."

Jaiden twisted the ring on his finger. "Any other jobs he may have worked that you know of? Or family?"

Another shake of the head.  "No.  Again, he was quiet.  He didn't talk much about himself."

Toni's frustration was showing, and he let out a long breath.  He took out three pictures and slapped them on the desk. "Any of these people look familiar?"

The club owner looked down at the pictures.  They were simple headshots of the three victims.  He pointed to the pastor. "I know Pastor Gibson, but from his services on TV.  He wouldn't be caught in my place."

Jaiden ran his hand through his hair.  "Sierra should be here, right?"  He asked while recalling the name of the female bartender that hit on him before.

"Um, yeah." The club owner stammered. "Listen, are we in trouble? Should I be asking for a warrant?"

Jaiden could hear a frustrated rumble from Toni, so he stepped forward.  "No, not at all.  We're just trying to piece things together."

Jaiden gave Toni's shoulder a quick squeeze and walked out of the room.  He saw Sierra already at the bar, and he walked up to her and sat on a stool.

She grinned and leaned on the counter.  "Hey there, handsome.  Changed your mind about me?"

Jaiden chuckled.  "I'm still very into that man from before."

She pouted.  "Then how about that threesome?"

"Still flattered but will have to pass up that offer." He laughed lightly and ran his hand through his hair. 

"Fine, I know you're all about your man and work. Go ahead and ask me your questions, Detective."  She gave an exaggerated groan while sliding over a club soda to him. "But you never know, I may be into some interrogation."

He smirked a little.  "Somehow, that doesn't surprise me... I just wanted to follow up on Marcos."

She frowned a little.  "I wish I could tell you more about him; honestly, he was really distant."

"Do you remember anything different about him besides the turtleneck?"

She sighed a little.  "Not really.  The odd thing is how we didn't know anything about him.  He kind of just floated in our peripheral.  He seemed to really like art—statues and paintings. I caught him looking at a few books from time to time. But he really just came here for work and then left."

"Art? Anything specific?"

She raised an eyebrow. "You like art too?"

Jaiden shook his head. "I only knew enough to get me through high school. I'm just trying to figure this guy out. Any art movements he was interested in the most?"