38. Mai Tais

Jaiden tried to shake off the hands, but he was disoriented.  His efforts were unsuccessful, so he had to watch as Toni became increasingly distant while he was being dragged away.  

He couldn't help but give Toni a reassuring smile. He could handle what was coming next, and it wasn't going to be self-sacrificing just like he promised.  He was going to get away from Christopher and Sierra.

Jaiden felt his weakened body get jostled around and then was blinded by the bright sun as he was pulled out of the building and into the alleyway in the back. He registered a black van right before he was tossed inside of it. He groaned as he landed heavily on his injured arm.

"Fucking van." He muttered. He was sure it was the piece of shit van that hit him the week before.

He felt drowsiness start to take over but bit his lip, hoping that the pain would help focus his mind a little.

Unfortunately, it didn't.

His glazed eyes turned towards the front of the van and noticed Christopher and Sierra arguing about something. They weren't looking at him.  This also meant that they did not hear the cell phone buzzing in his pocket.

He fumbled with his good arm to take the phone out of his pocket, but it was clumsy. He wanted to curse but kept silent in hopes that they wouldn't notice him.

His eyes couldn't focus on the caller ID, but he didn't have to guess. He knew Toni was calling him so that he could get some trace on him.  Toni would know what to do. Toni wouldn't stop until he found him.

 His fingers hit the answer button, but the van turned sharply before confirming that it connected, and the phone slipped from his weak hand.  He watched it slide in a crevice between the wall and floor of the van.

"Fuck." Jaiden spit out.

"He's awake?" He heard Christopher ask, but his voice seemed far away. "Not even two bottles to the head can take him down. Impressive."

"You drive like shit." Jaiden said with a slight slur.

"Shut the fuck up!" Sierra yelled.

Jaiden laughed a little. "Assholes."

"I don't want to, but I will kill you right now if you choose to annoy me." He warned.

Perhaps it was the blow to the head or the relief he felt knowing that Toni was looking for him, but Christopher's comment made Jaiden laugh harder. "And ruin your precious plans again?"

The van screeched to a halt, and Sierra was yelling at Christopher. The door of the van ripped open, and Christopher looked in.

"You need to learn how to stay silent."  Christopher said darkly.

Jaiden just chuckled. "You're the only one to have accused me of being too talkative."

He saw Christopher wrench his fist back and felt the pain as it collided with his face. He usually had a strong chin, but he had already been through hell, so it only took a couple of hits to make the world go black.

Jaiden groaned as he felt a horrible piercing pain rip through his head. This was the mother of all migraines.  It was like being hungover after drinking a bowl of shitty mai tais after being hit by a van.  

"JayJay?" A timid voice cut through the pain, and he groaned again.

He didn't want to open his eyes. The pain was too much to acknowledge who he heard. "Fuck me." He muttered.

"JayJay!"

"Fuck! Tell me I'm in the middle of a nightmare." He mumbled.

"You're going to be ok, JayJay!" The voice was a high-pitched squeal that made Jaiden wince.