18. patient

I made my way down to exam room 3 dreading what was to come.

I didn't want this much attention my first year of internship. People are going to think I'm a problem creator.

As I approach the exam room, I take a deep breath and then walk in.

As I walk in, I see Luke standing with the laptop on the counter. To my left was Ashton with his laptop, and then a couple other things on a tray that I couldn't see.

"Have a seat on the table" Luke spoke, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I do as he asked but then I immediately look to Ashton.

Ashton gets up from where he was sitting and goes to the counter. He grabs a thermometer and puts a probe on it. As he approaches me he holds out motioning me to stick out my tongue.

I do and he inserts it into my mouth. We wait a few seconds and he takes it out, looking at the reading.

"102.3" he says out loud, directed towards Luke.

Luke sighs and inputs it into the computer. "I'm going to grab a reducer." he told us and walked out.

I look down to my hands. Ashton then grabs his stethoscope from around his neck and puts it into his ears.

"I'm just going to listen, take some deep breaths, okay?" he said softly.

I nodded and he slipped the stethoscope through my shirt. After, he placed it on my back to listen to my chest.

"Lay down" he told me.

I was too tired to argue and did as he said. "I'm just going to feel your tummy." he told me. I nodded.

He gently lifted up my shirt and began to feel my abdomen. I gasped for a second because they were cold.

"Sorry." He said and quietly continued to feel.

He paused for a second and then asked"Are you still having bad cramps?" He asked me quietly.

I nodded. "They be been pretty bad." I told him quietly.

He nodded.

Luke walked back in with a syringe. He gently wiped my hand and gave me the shot in my arm.

Ashton went to the counter and brought over the tray. On it we're long cotton swabs.

"We're gonna run a strep test & a flu test to rule those out." He told me.

I nodded and sat back up.

He took both tests pretty quickly and sent it off to the lab.