6. what a first day

Cal and I made it to the ER. It was pure chaos. People were screaming, running around like crazy people, and rushing.

It looked like Black Friday. Except this isn't a long line for the new PS5, no it's a hospital with medical professionals and people who need help.

Cal and I ran to the first person we saw.

"Alright brief me." he instructed as he started reading her vitals.

"23 y/o female in a car accident. No signs of concussion or spinal injuries. Trouble breathing- we suspect a collapsed lung and lacerations all over her abdomen." the nurse rushed out.

"Okay I need a chest x-ray stat!" He yelled. "Arya, listen for breath sounds." he instructed.

I nodded and grabbed my stethoscope. I listened to her lungs on both sides. "I hear no breath sounds on the left."

He nodded. "Chest tube."

A nurse handed him some betadine to sterilize the field.

He gently cleansed the area and the nurse handed him a scalpel.

He pinched her skin and cut a 4 inch slit in between her ribs. He then inserted the chest tube and in no time, she was able to breathe again.

He grabbed his stethoscope and listened again. "Breath sounds are good."

Now it was time to attend to all her lacerations. She had them all over. The biggest was on her stomach. A nurse held a ton of gauze over it.

"Arya, attend to the one on her abdomen," said Calum. He was fixing the one on her thigh.

Before I could start, another doctor rushed in. "What can I help with?" he said quickly.

"Help Arya with the laceration on the abdomen."

tw: blood (skip to dotted line)

I turned around and it was him. Dr. Ashton. He looked at me and nodded. I picked up the gauze slowly from her stomach and blood started squirting everywhere.

"We have to stop this bleeding" he said quickly as he put back on the gauze.

"On the count of three, I'm going to take of the gauze. Try and see if you can find the source of the bleeding and stop it."

I nodded. He slowly lifted the gauze and as expected, blood started going everywhere. I stuck my hand in and found it. It was a blood vessel.

"It's a blood vessel." I told him quickly."

"Good, we're going to clamp the blood vessel to stabilize it. Then she'll go upstairs for it to be repaired." He said calmly.

I got the clamp and closed it. Then the nurses quickly rushed her upstairs to an OR.

When she left, I took in the scene in front me. It was scary. I was covered in blood.

There was blood everywhere.

Wow.

I looked to Ashton. "I-"

"It's okay. This was your first trauma. You're in shock." He said with no emotion.

"We all need to get cleaned up."

Cal nodded. "We have to sanitize."

"Follow us"

I did as I was told and I followed them both to the sanitation room.

When we got there, they both started scrubbing themselves. I just stood there. I couldn't move.

Ashton looked to me and sighed. He gently nudged me to the sink and turned it on.

I gently started washing off everything on my hand. I watched as it went down the drain.

........................................................

When we were done the three of us went to the attendings lounge. We all sat on the couch.

"Arya, are you okay?" asked Cal seriously.

I snapped out of my trance and quickly nodded. "Yeah". I whispered.

He sighed. "Maybe you wanna talk about it?"

I shook my head. "No it's okay."

"How does your head feel?" Ashton said as he looked to me.

"It's okay." I told him. The truth was, it hurt like hell.

He kept staring at me as if he didn't believe me but said nothing.

The truth was, I was still trying to accept it. It was a lot. My first trauma. Thankfully, a nurse said her surgery went well and she was on her way to recovery.

Ashton nor calum said anything else. We kinds just sat there in silence.

"D-don't we have other patients to see?" I asked Calum.

"No, no it's okay. The other attendings will handle it. What we saw today was rare for us. It's a lot for you. You should take a break for a minute." He said.

I nodded.