16. hot water

I parked my car and made my way to my apartment. I opened my door, threw my keys on the counter, and headed straight for the shower.

I did my usual routine and got out. I threw on shorts, an old soccer tee and fuzzy socks. I pulled out my blackout curtains and shut out all the light. It was still very snowy in New York, so I also turned on the heating.

Finally, I made it under the blankets of my bed. Oh how I missed this.

As I lay in bed, I thought about today. How Ashton had a mood swing and suddenly let me go home early. In intern year, you are the lowest of the low. Working almost 14 hour shifts, it's not easy at all.

I'm laying here dumbfounded as to why he would let me go.

Before I could think about anything else, I fell asleep.

...

I woke up to someone shaking me. I frantically jumped up.

My whole body ached. If felt as if someone hit me with a truck.

Senna was next to me with a concerned expression on her face.

"Arya what the fuck dude you should've been at work two hours ago." She yelled frantically.

What- it was 2pm when I fell asleep, how could it possibly have been time to go to work?

"You slept the rest of the day and night. Arya it's almost 10am?" She told me.

That's when I started freaking out. I quickly jumped out of bed and paused for a second.

My body was on fire. Complete fire. It felt like I was in a sauna.

I doubled over onto my bed groaning.

"Arya are you okay?" She asked concerned.

I looked at her with a reassuring smile. "Yeah, I'm fine" I told her. She didn't buy it but nodded.

I made my way to my bathroom, did my routine, threw on scrubs, grabbed my keys and headed out the door.

I sped to the hospital, parked my car, clocked in and made my way to my wonderful attending's office.

As I was walking there, I started to feel more sick and tired.

I knocked and heard a small "come in" so I entered.

"Well good morning to you Ms. Arya." Ashton spoke in a dark tone.

"I'm so sorry I overslept" I told him pleadingly.

"It seems you just keep landing yourself in hot water these days." He spoke. "I told you to go home yesterday to relax and whatnot, how come you're late today," he asked me.

"I went home yesterday and took a nap and didn't wake up until an hour ago." I told him truthfully.

A cruel ache passes through my body and I squeezed my eye shut for a second.

It was gruesome.

"Go round on your patients" he told me with a strict tone.

I nodded and headed out.