Ocean Drive (41)

"We're riding down the boulevard
We're riding through the dark night
With half the tank and empty heart
Pretending we're in love but it's never enough"

- Jk -

It was the first day of the much awaited Hyyh concert, and the maknae stood near the stage, his heart thrumming in his ears as he tried to shake off the nervousness. No matter how many times they performed, he still had to deal with these nerves every time. He wiped his clammy hands on his T-shirt, tapping his foot in rhythm, trying to distract himself, when he felt a soft hand entwine into his own. He turned to find the all too familiar boxy smile.

The familiar vanilla scent of the elder surrounded him. "Are you nervous, Jeonggukshi?" Taehyung asked, putting a hand over Jeongguk's shoulder.

"Are you not?" Jeongguk countered. Taehyung might never show it, but Jeongguk was pretty sure he got as anxious as the maknae. He was just a damn good actor.

"A little," Taehyung pursed his lips in thought. "But I am not nervous when I am with you."

"Wae? Do I have magical powers?" Jeongguk smiled.

"Yes, you're a wizard Harry", Taehyung stood straight and held Jeongguk's shoulder, imitating Hagrid's gruffy voice.

Jeongguk let out a laugh, swatting Taehyung's arm away. "You're an idiot, hyung." Taehyung laughed with him, bringing his arm up and slinging it around the maknae's neck. "Yes, but I am your best friend. You kinda have to deal with this idiot," he poked out his tongue.

A movement at a distance caught his attention. A staff member was waving his arm on the other side of the stage. When he saw Jeongguk looking at him, he pointed at Taehyung.

"Oh hyung," Jeongguk called, still looking ahead. "I think that staff member is calling for you."

"Mwo? Who? Where?" Taehyung scanned the area. "Oh? That one? What is he saying?" Taehyung asked, squinting his eyes to look at the staff on the other side of the stage more carefully.

"He is telling you to shift," Jeongguk guessed, looking at the action.

"Shift? Shift where? I have to enter from this side."

Amid the confusion, another crew member came up to them and whispered something to Taehyung, who seemed confused.

"What is it?" Jeongguk asked as the elder withdrew his hand.

"Uh, I- " Taehyung looked back at the staff ahead. "I have to enter from the other side."

Jeongguk scrunched his face. "The other side? But we practised entering from here. You, me, and Hobi hyung."

"Yeah, well-" the elder licked his lips. He seemed more jittery than usual. "They said it wouldn't make much of a difference, Yoongi hyung will enter from this side."

"Five minutes to countdown!" Someone shouted from behind them.

Taehyung looked a little lost, and Jeongguk felt the anger rising with every change in Taehyung's expression. "Hyung-" he tried to hold the elder's hand, who immediately withdrew it.