(14) Eyes on you

"Watch
Movies that we've both already seen
I ain't even looking at the screen, it's true
I got my eyes on you"

- V -

When October came, it brought temperatures down.

The rain rattled the windows, the thunder booming across the dark skies. Taehyung stood by the gate of the building watching the angry drops of water slosh onto the ground.

He let out an audible sigh.

He had finished the last of his vocal lessons and was about to go back to the dorm, have a warm meal if Seokjin had been generous enough to cook, or warm up some leftovers. His stomach grumbled in protest and he ran his fingers through his hair, exasperated.

It was almost one am. He did not have an umbrella on him and he had forcefully sent Jeongguk (who had an umbrella) back to the dorm when he had offered to wait for him. That child had to study for his upcoming exams.

He stretched his arms over his head, glancing up at the sky, trying to plea a silent deal of letting the rain stop for ten minutes so he could sprint back.

Thunder boomed in a definitive 'no.'

'Great', he rolled his eyes.

He could go back inside, Namjoon might still be in the cramped studio, sitting on the office chair with his feet tucked in on the side, furiously writing in that notebook of his or bobbing his head with his headphones on to fix the beats of the track. Namjoon breathed and lived music. He carried around a pocket diary, noting down whatever thought he had that could be turned into a song.

Dedication was at it's finest.

Hoseok could be in one of the other empty rooms. After the dance practices ended, they sometimes used the empty studios as they own personal workstation. He sometimes found Hoseok in the park, sitting under a tree working on his rap, moving his fingers with every high beat and low beat, trying to get everything in sync. But with the pelting rain, that scenario was unlikely, so, Hoseok was either home or inside. Seokjin and Jimin were at the dorm, along with Jeongguk.

And Yoongi, Taehyung was not entirely sure.

He was sure Yoongi, apart from his training and school, worked at least two other part time jobs. How he managed that, Taehyung simply had not the slightest idea. They were not exactly allowed to do so by the company. He barely stayed in the dorm. Taehyung sometimes found him passed out in his bunk, or hunched over the counter stuffing instant ramen into his mouth. But he did not question the elder's burdened lifestyle, nor was he ever going to rat him out. Their allowance from the company was meagre. With the decreasing sales of the earlier girl group the company had debuted, the financial pressure was breaking their backs. It wasn't entirely bankrupt as far as Taehyung could tell, but if the next group that debuted failed, then it was a one way ticket to shutting down.

In the hazy hours of one early morning when it was clear that he wouldn't be able to fall back asleep again, Taehyung had dragged himself to the kitchen to get something to eat. Yoongi sat there, his back to Taehyung and he had overheard the conversation he was having about the money his family needed. He didn't mean to. It just happened so.

Taehyung had been in no place to judge the elder. Financial security seemed like a distant dream to Taehyung as well. But he worried about Yoongi. It seemed like that boy would work himself to death someday.