Chapter 47

6 months later...

Johnny met Rory midway between Charming and his home for a special dinner. There were no details and it was only her and him, no Brad and no Happy, but it didn't concern her. Her hair was already growing back six months after she lost it and Johnny was pretty sure she'd be sharing good remission news with him.

They each ordered a beer and caught up for almost twenty minutes before Johnny couldn't wait any longer. "So you got something to share?"

"I do." She grinned. "Funny choice of words actually considering," her laugh was airy and full of excitement. "I'm getting married, well, me and Happy are getting married."

"You're getting married?" Johnny asked in complete and total shock. He thought the dinner was the official remission celebration or even to break the horrible news the cancer had returned by he never thought marriage was on the table.

Rory bit her lip and nodded as she extended her left hand. "It's bigger than I wanted but it's gorgeous. He didn't propose or anything. It was one of those things that came up in conversation and once I was clear we decided to do it."

Johnny pinched the bridge of his nose as a sick feeling came over him. "I don't think he's the marrying type."

"He's not, he said it's less about the paper and more about doing things legit and having me become a Lowman."

"See?" He slapped his hand on the table. "He's so possessive."

"You told me he loves me. You said you knew he did and now this? What's wrong with you?"

"He loves you." Johnny assured her hoping to make his point explicitly clear this time. "I just see the invisible confines of marriage as an obstacle for both of you."

Thinking on it, she ran her tongue along her lips as she nodded and anxiously began picking at her nails. "Well, I don't agree."

"You guys talked about this?"

"We did. A lot actually."

"If this is what you want and you're both sure, I have nothing else to say about it."

She had hoped for, at least, a congratulations but Johnny sipped his beer and turned back to his dinner. "Let me guess you guys are gonna get married in some cemetery somewhere right? Under the full moon?"

"Don't be an asshole." She sulked. "I want this."

"Alright, alright I'm sorry."

"So you'll come?"

"Of course I'm coming! What are you crazy? I wouldn't miss it, Rory."

"Good."

--

"Again." Rory ordered as she rode Happy. "Do it again."

Grinning, Happy did as she requested and slapped her ass using almost all his strength. "My bitch is back." He growled gripping her waist and pushing her onto her back.

"No." She tried to push him off of her but Happy flipped her onto her stomach and lifted her to her knees. "I was so close you asshole."

"You'll get there." He said entering her again. "Just shut up."

Peeking back at him she grinned before burying her face in the sheets to muffle her moans. Happy was right, she actually orgasmed twice before he did.

"When I was sick I forgot how amazing our sex was."

Sleepily he nodded, collapsed onto the bed and pulled her close to him. "Yep."

"I gotta go." She groaned. "I'm meeting Parker for a stake out."

"Once you're knocked up this fucking partner gig ends. You can be his secretary, got it?"

"Yes sir." She said mockingly as she forced herself out of bed.

"Watch your ass." He instructed as she dressed and kissed him goodbye.

"Always."

--

Rory had started working about four months before. It was soon after remission so she took it slow and at Happy's insistence she partnered up with a PI the club knew. He trusted Parker and preferred Rory work with someone than on her own.

"Yo." She slipped into his truck. "Sorry I'm late."

"You stink," he grimaced. "Like sex, gross angry sex."

"It was angry and it was amazing." She laughed. "What's on the docket."

Parker handed her the mugshot and information before he pulled out of the spot.

She looked over his criminal charges. "Hmmm. Charming guy."

"Yeah. He's a fucking piece of shit. Ripped off the Italians and they can't get shit on him."

"They want a drop off or just the info?"

"They said the info but if I can milk more cash out of them by talking them into a drop off I will."

"And you kept me a secret?"

"If I didn't I'd be out of a job. No one wants an old lady to know their enemies."

Rory smiled, proud of herself for having that reputation, and nodded as they turned into the highway. "Good."

"Good." He mimicked her. "Next weekend is that party right? The not a wedding wedding."

"Yep, up at the reservation. You coming?"

"Hap said he was bringing mushrooms and LSD. I'm coming for that."