Chapter 36

The day was slow. They ate breakfast and the men did, well, whatever it was that they did together while Rory and Emma played safely at home. It was needed for them all. Happy enjoyed staking out and canvassing the area for the job with Tig and Bobby and after everything, the fighting and upheaval, Rory felt content and complete with her life.

Jax arrived the next morning, early, and was greeted by Happy with a beretta in hand. "Hey brother," he chuckled with his hands up. "Not a way to greet your VP."

With a raspy laugh, Happy jammed his gun in his pants and pulled Jax in for a rough hug. "Everything good back home?"

"Yeah we're good. I gotta tell you, I'm glad to hear you still calling Charming home."

Happy rolled his eyes and shook his head as they entered the house. Tig and Bobby we're on the couch and Rory was in the kitchen putting coffee on. The sun hadn't even risen but there was no chance of sleeping now.

"Looks like an early start to the day?" Rory said as she walked into the living room to see the men greeting each other. She couldn't deny how violent it all looked but it was just the way they were.

"Hey Rory," Jax smiled and gave her a strong hug. He was always kind to the old ladies, all of them in equal measure, because he knew how important they were to the club and their men. "You feeling alright?"

"Yeah, I feel good." She scrunched up her nose and laughed a bit. "Coffee?"

"That would be great. Are we all staying here?"

"If you want." Happy answered as Rory headed back into the kitchen with her robe waving behind her. "Got a spare room upstairs these assholes are in and two couches down here. We didn't think it was smart to have them floating around town in a motel. We wanted to keep it quiet, not give anything away."

Jax nodded, it was the smartest move. "Good, hopefully it won't be too long. You're coming back, right?"

"Yeah, I'm bringing my girls back too."

Pulling a face, surprised, Jax nodded and gave Happy a heavy slap on the back. "Well let's get everybody home then."

--

"Hey, Evelyn." Rory gave the woman a subdued smile and sat at the tiny, scrappy table in the kitchen. "Thanks for talking with me."

The woman was hesitant about everything, nervous as she moved around the kitchen before sitting. "No problem. I remember how hard it can be. You're still fairly new to all this?"

"I am." Rory laughed a little. "I mean Happy and I have been together for years in one way or another but very little of that has been normal. I have little experience with the club." It was a bit of a lie but Rory didn't care she needed to build the trust. "Now that I'm down here and he's been shitty with visiting our daughter, I'm kind of at a loss. I wish I could get him to patch out, maybe that way we could be together, but it won't ever happen."

"You're wondering how I got Reggie to leave?" She asked point blank. "I didn't. Besides, it's not some easy transition, things are hard when they patch out."

Rory drew her head back, Evelyn's stark tone was jarring, and she nodded slowly while trying to rearrange her thoughts. The conversation took an unexpected turn and threw her. She despised being so out of practice.

"Oh." She glanced around awkwardly not realizing how this turn was helping her act. "I just want my family back together. I'm sorry. I was just hoping you could help."

"You want your man free and clear?" She asked conspiratorially.

"More than anything."

"Talk to him." She said sadly, loosing her nerve. "Tell him how important it is."

"I've tried that."

"Rory, it's dangerous."

"Evelyn, are you okay?" Dropping her timid little act when Evelyn began growing darker and clearly much more afraid than she'd been. "Why don't you tell me what's really going on?"

She shook her head and, pulling a tissue from the box, dabbed the corner of her eyes. "I can't but I can tell you, old lady to old lady, be careful who you trust. Don't let anyone know you were here, Rory."

"Not even Benny?" There was an accusatory tone in her voice but Rory couldn't help it. "What did he do?"

"Leave it, for Happy and your kid, it's safer if you just leave this all alone."

"What did Benny do to you?" Rory was forceful now, needing the truth to protect herself, her daughter and her old man. "No one will know you told me."

"He'll know." Evelyn pointed to the door. "He probably knows you're here now."

"We can't talk?" Rory asked skeptically. "Evelyn if you don't tell me you can't get help."

"The last time I looked for help a man was murdered. Go, please, and just drop this shit. Better yet, go back to Charming."